Fly Tying
flytire

Have you ever driven......

....a race car?

DSC07321.jpg

my brother and i did the richard petty driving experience at disney world a long time ago. i think i hit 130mph. fast enough for me

Not a true race car, but I did some professional motorcycle dirt track racing back in the early 1970s.  Also, more practically my Air Force work got me through a number of Secret Service defensive driving courses and I drove big, heavy armored Mercedes in London, Germany and Istanbul for many years.

Depends. If you mean certified race car on a sanctioned track then no. If a younger dumber version of me 20 yrs ago racing on the street over 120mph counts then yes 😬 Sometimes the aged more experienced vesrion of myself looks back at the younger me and thinks...dumbass! lol

ya got me beat, 11 sec 77 Camaro, 145+, needle was buried so IDK, tach still had 1500 so i took it to redline, was an early sunday morn, still had a little left in her too. I miss that car.

:) 

Never drove a race car, have no desire to now.  

Fastest I ever remember going in a car was back in high school.  My brother had a '68 Chrysler New Yorker, had a big old 440, 4 barrel V8.  Got it up to 120 one morning, we were late for school.   

I drag raced a '70 Chevy Nova in my younger days, and like Steeldrifter, have not been in a "sanctioned" race car. Mid 12's in a quarter mile was fast enough for me. I had an LT-1 Corvette 350/370 in it with 4:11 gears, and It would pull the front wheels off the ground. When you change gears from the factory set, it changes the speedometer accuracy, so I would guess it ran in the 120 mph speed range plus or minus. 

No race car.  Never even got over 100 in the 68 Camaro I had as a kid.

However ...

The year the Hayabusa  (Suzuki GSX1300R) came out, a friend bought one.  He lives in Phoenix and I got the chance ride it about 8 monthes after he bought it.  We were out on a straight stretch of road in the desert.  No side streets and very little traffic.  Had people set up at opposite ends of a 1 1/2 mile section, and each of us was taking turns ... with a radar gun at one end.  My fastest run out of 10 ... 192 MPH.  If it weren't on radar, I wouldn't have known exactly how fast I'd gone.  Above 145 or so, the wind driven vibration in the helmet made everything a blur.

I'm glad I got the chance to ride that rocket.  But, even if you paid me, I don't think I'd ever do it again.  At approximately 170, you lose contact with the road.  You can't see obstacles in the road, and even if you could, you have no time to avoid.  As soon as you see the radar spot, it's past you.  Scary rush ... once.

13 hours ago, mikechell said:

The year the Hayabusa  (Suzuki GSX1300R) came out, a friend bought one.  He lives in Phoenix and I got the chance ride it about 8 monthes after he bought it.  We were out on a straight stretch of road in the desert.  No side streets and very little traffic.  Had people set up at opposite ends of a 1 1/2 mile section, and each of us was taking turns ... with a radar gun at one end.  My fastest run out of 10 ... 192 MPH.  If it weren't on radar, I wouldn't have known exactly how fast I'd gone.  Above 145 or so, the wind driven vibration in the helmet made everything a blur.

Nooooo thank you! lol. Call me a wuss but I found out long ago bikes were not for me. Funny because when I was younger I always thought I'd like them and I actually looked at some Harley Sportsters and considered buying one when I was in my 20's. Then a friend let me ride his. I took it for a spin around town and I seriously never felt so vulnerable and open to death in my life 😄 After about 10 mins on it I got off it and gave  it back to him and have not got back on a bike since.

14 hours ago, mikechell said:

Hayabusa  (Suzuki GSX1300R)

I was playing around with a bike on PEI's drag strip and a kid was dialing in this Hayabusa all stock except adding a air shifter (he said) he was running very low 9's  consistently and touched the high 8's (8.8 @ 158- I remember that one). They used to allow you to run most anything on Wednesday nights. That bike screammmmmmmmed .