Fly Tying
flytire

I wonder....

Never considered it. I just tied and when the spool got low, I finished it and started another fly with another spool.

One time I considered this when I was (am still learning) to tie new patterns.  I ended up taking a razor to one and ended up basically cutting it at the head where I was able to unravel in reverse wraps most of the fly's thread wraps.  I think I ended up figuring it was roughly 7" - 9" worth of thread at that point?  I usually snip an inch or so off and probably ended up missing some or cutting into some thread where I first cut into the fly to scrap it, so in my mind I think I just settled on the range of to 10" - 15" of 70D thread per fly as a rough guess.  Obviously various patterns require different amount of wraps.  I think I was doing nymphs like Pheasant Tails.  100 meters is roughly 3,973 inches so at the mean of 12.5" of that 10" to 15" range, I'm seeing the number of 317 flies per 100M spool?  That seems like a lot...not sure my math is right...lol

17 hours ago, jrodell said:

One time I considered this when I was (am still learning) to tie new patterns.  I ended up taking a razor to one and ended up basically cutting it at the head where I was able to unravel in reverse wraps most of the fly's thread wraps.  I think I ended up figuring it was roughly 7" - 9" worth of thread at that point?  I usually snip an inch or so off and probably ended up missing some or cutting into some thread where I first cut into the fly to scrap it, so in my mind I think I just settled on the range of to 10" - 15" of 70D thread per fly as a rough guess.  Obviously various patterns require different amount of wraps.  I think I was doing nymphs like Pheasant Tails.  100 meters is roughly 3,973 inches so at the mean of 12.5" of that 10" to 15" range, I'm seeing the number of 317 flies per 100M spool?  That seems like a lot...not sure my math is right...lol

Your calculations seem reasonable. At $3.25/spool, it's about $.01 per fly for the Veevus.

Jack Gartside made his GSS (Gartside secret stuff) Minnow with about 7 or 8 turns of thread start to finish.  Probably less than 3” per fly.

In opposition to Jack, I have noticed on many utube videos of people tying flies, that some will just continue to wrap and wrap and wrap and then wrap some more when only a couple turns of well placed thread would have been more than adequate to accomplish the task at hand.  

This came up just before I started a new spool of thread.  So I decided to count the number of flies.

All on size 10 hooks. Girdle bug variations, small bugger and "only" fly  335 flies. 

It was a spool of Danville's 210 Denier , 100 yard flat waxed nylon. 

For the buggers made 87 flies with a new card of chenille.

Rickk