Fly Tying
yetavon

Our time consuming rebuild

17 hours ago, DFoster said:

I always feel guilty if I'm on a river with a project hanging over my head. 

That's part of what's killing me, haven't fished but a few times in the past 2 years, only had the Kayak out one time since we moved 3 years ago. We had been camping about once a month, but only 4 trips last year. Only have 3 planned so far this year. 

1 hour ago, yetavon said:
1 hour ago, yetavon said:

I feel your pain-  A few years ago I decided to remove and replace our side stairs to the house beginning in early September.  Now Autumn trout fish in New England is spectacular and far and away my favorite season to fish.  I was thinking a couple of weekends and some vacation time and done.  BUT my day job exploded to 70 hours a week and when that subsided I had leaf clean up to deal with along with cutting and splitting wood and in general getting the house ready for winter.  There I was putting the last screws in the side stairs two week before Christmas.  The one and only day I was able to fish way back in September was a disaster.  I slipped on a steeply angled rock on my first cast and went swimming on a 50 degree day. I continued to fish  in soaking wet clothes for 6 hours, the only other choice was to lose an hour and a half driving home and back..  That was a really long winter for me.  My wife and I have a nice home with one acre of our land manicured lawn and gardens which we maintain.  Mowing and line trimming is a 3 hour process for me even with a lawn tractor.  Sadly we are not wealthy and our home consumes massive amounts of what could fishing time. 

Taking a cue from friend who are passionate golfers and go every Saturday I came to a decision last year to make time to fly fish no matter what is going on with the house. I think of it as required sanity maintenance.  Last year I went fishing more than ever and a nice side effect of this was that my wife and I were able to complete more projects last year also. Resting the troupes so to speak.  She makes a wish list every January and for the first time we crossed off about 90% of them.

I wish you luck with your project but make the time to live also.  It will go a long way to recharging you.  

Thanks D.... My line of work more than reinforces the idea of taking time to enjoy this life before its over. and very lucky that i'm 5 minutes from great warmwater fishing, same river above the lake, 15 minute drive and have trout to case... lake itself is aint bad either.  90% of my latest fishing has been below the dam , stopping on the way home iF the waters not running or after helping stock trout.