Fly Tying
Christian.s

Inside dimensions of the norvise spare spools?

Getting a Norvise soon and was wondering if anyone knows what the inside dimensions are for the spare spools, planning on making a bobbin and spool holder.

Thanks!

They measure @ .990"ID , they will stack nicely on a piece of 1/2" X 3/4" stock. I added a brass tool rest to my post, a basic copy of the old herters tool stand that I grew up with. the vise and thread post are .615/ .616" OD I have a 15.75mm bit to make accessories for the shafts. mainly  a piece of Delrin with a 3/8 shaft for standard vise accessories. I like the vise a lot and hope you enjoy it.  

nv1.jpg

nv2.jpg

Thanks a lot for the information, it really is gonna help me get my desk in order for the new vise.

Having surgery done to my right hand and it will fix my wrist joint in place so I’ll have little to no rotation in my joint, figured the norvise will be my best option to keep tying.

When you start to get set up let me know if I can be of any help. I tie left handed and use my right hand primarily to spin the hub (fingers) and hold material to secure to hook. Unsure how that would work for you or if your surgery will fuse the wrist permanently. I'm sure we can find a way to keep you at the bench.

5 minutes ago, cphubert said:

When you start to get set up let me know if I can be of any help. I tie left handed and use my right hand primarily to spin the hub (fingers) and hold material to secure to hook. Unsure how that would work for you or if your surgery will fuse the wrist permanently. I'm sure we can find a way to keep you at the bench.

I tie right handed and plan to use my left hand to spin the vise head, it will be permenatly fused, so my left hand will be the one doing most of the work.

my right hand will still be able to start the thread and whip finish with the help from a whip finish tool.

I am pretty sure this system will keep me at the bench for a very long time to come.

On a positive note my right hand will be fused straight and should improve my fly casting lol

2 hours ago, Christian.s said:

Getting a Norvise soon and was wondering if anyone knows what the inside dimensions are for the spare spools, planning on making a bobbin and spool holder.

Thanks!

I store mine in the Norvise bobbin storage boxes. So I can see the thread and pull out a spool without removing spools to get to the one I want if they were stacked on top of each other using a peg system.

Plus I can pick up the storage boxes and put then in my portable tying kit if I need them.

35555724252_31ab1b795b_z.jpg

I use plastic binding combs to keep the thread on the spools. These are the plastic combs which hold loose leaf binders together as in the photo below.

312695952_ScreenShot2021-02-13at3_18_13PM.png.25a2670d487470f67d8277c5156906e5.png

1599674572_ScreenShot2021-02-13at3_18_22PM.thumb.png.06f12f895fbb1f654769a2da1c8b5d97.png

Pasted Graphic.tiff

18 hours ago, cphubert said:

😁 got to look at the bright side!

Could you tell me the length of the bobbin? Working on my design for the bobbin holder.

17 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

I store mine in the Norvise bobbin storage boxes. So I can see the thread and pull out a spool without removing spools to get to the one I want if they were stacked on top of each other using a peg system.

Plus I can pick up the storage boxes and put then in my portable tying kit if I need them.

35555724252_31ab1b795b_z.jpg

I use plastic binding combs to keep the thread on the spools. These are the plastic combs which hold loose leaf binders together as in the photo below.

312695952_ScreenShot2021-02-13at3_18_13PM.png.25a2670d487470f67d8277c5156906e5.png

1599674572_ScreenShot2021-02-13at3_18_22PM.thumb.png.06f12f895fbb1f654769a2da1c8b5d97.png

Pasted Graphic.tiff 445.21 kB · 0 downloads

I’ve decided to do the same for extra spool storage to keep dust off. Thanks for the ideas!

15 minutes ago, Christian.s said:

I’ve decided to do the same for extra spool storage to keep dust off. Thanks for the ideas!

I got my plastic binding combs at my hospital's print shop.

They use them for hospital manuals and for booklets for medical conferences that we hold.

If you have a large organization in your city, see if they have a corporate print shop. Maybe they will give you a comb or two. Take a Norvise bobbin spool with you so you know the size of comb to get.

6 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

I got my plastic binding combs at my hospital's print shop.

They use them for hospital manuals and for booklets for medical conferences that we hold.

If you have a large organization in your city, see if they have a corporate print shop. Maybe they will give you a comb or two. Take a Norvise bobbin spool with you so you know the size of comb to get.

Great idea! Hey fly tying isn’t cheap might as well save some money where we can!

Could you tell me the length of the bobbin?

5" from bottom of spool to top of tube with the silicone thread cap in place.

Great idea! Hey fly tying isn’t cheap might as well save some money where we can!

My buddy Ed Engelman would disagree with you on this!  He even wrote a book on cheap (vise and all!) fly tying.  For one of his cheap homemade vices take a look at the picture on bottom of page 2 of my Soft Hackle/Wet Fly Swap.  For a nice on the water vice use an Exacto knife handle - just drill a hole near the end and you can keep track/control(!) of it on a lanyard on the water.  Works well for hooks #6 or smaller. (inspired by another of Ed's cheap vice - I mean vise ideas!).

Kim

1 hour ago, WWKimba said:

My buddy Ed Engelman would disagree with you on this!  He even wrote a book on cheap (vise and all!) fly tying.  For one of his cheap homemade vices take a look at the picture on bottom of page 2 of my Soft Hackle/Wet Fly Swap.  For a nice on the water vice use an Exacto knife handle - just drill a hole near the end and you can keep track/control(!) of it on a lanyard on the water.  Works well for hooks #6 or smaller. (inspired by another of Ed's cheap vice - I mean vise ideas!).

Kim

I love the innovation in the fly fishing community always nice to see people thinking outside the box!