Fly Tying
Iroc_Jeff

Foam Hoppers

Learn something everyday around this joint....

Seventy-five years ago in the height of World War II, milkweed was valued for its floss, a naturally buoyant and water-repellant fiber used to fill life jackets for soldiers. It took two 20-pound bags of milkweed pods to make one life preserver.

Some awesome hopper patterns here!

At Kim's suggestion, I added some Golden Pheasant Tippet & Turkey wings to the Half-Drowned Hopper pattern I've posted here before.  It doesn't look like much on the vise, but I really love the look in the water.

Chris

half-drowned-hooper.jpg

Hopper-side-view-2-rotated.jpgHopper-front-view-3-rotated.jpg

Hopper-rear-view.jpg

I found a website that has maps of where the 17 year cicadas are supposed to emerge this year and several of my fishing spots are in areas where the cicadas are supposed to emerge. I sat and looked at several cicada patterns and mashed them together to make, some foam cicadas.

Its nothing fancy and not terribly hard to make. I had an idea for the eyes. I ordered a box of the little pins that you stick in maps  and used them for eyes. I think they look pretty good as eyes.

Cicada Pattern.jpg

Nice cicadas! I've been thinking of trying a cicada pattern. We get a 17 year brood hatch most years in my area but I've never tried a cicada pattern. And it's not like you don't know when they are hatching, if crawling up out of the ground is hatching, either. 

We got into a swarm of them over on a tailwater in Tennessee many years ago and huge brown trout were slurping them off of the surface. It was one of the best days I ever had for big trout. I cant tell you how many over 18 inches we caught that day. Its supposed to be "that" year again,this year.

3 hours ago, The Mad Duck said:

We got into a swarm of them over on a tailwater in Tennessee many years ago and huge brown trout were slurping them off of the surface. It was one of the best days I ever had for big trout. I cant tell you how many over 18 inches we caught that day. Its supposed to be "that" year again,this year.

Saw one fall into the Hiwassee. Waited for Moby Trout to take. Watched it float out of sight and no take! Thought it was odd as it fell where I got a 17 'bow.

Re-worked my Cicada and came up with this which I like much better. Used a Size 8 scud hook. Bit overtied in the segments but this is just a test fly. 

20210222_085542.thumb.jpg.706ecdfb3805c83242a500b310e5c4bb.jpg

I like Mad Duck’s  eyes and I.jeff’s wings.     The detached body and smaller hook is a plus too.  👍 Thanks....Not real happy with my first and second versions... They all prolly catch though   

CFE292EB-2820-4049-9843-53515AA11B11.png

E179FBCA-3A2B-4271-9EC3-24EE74AD53CB.jpeg

CD566864-B4D1-49EF-B7B7-E36C4CCCC411.png

11 hours ago, denduke said:

I like Mad Duck’s  eyes and I.jeff’s wings.     The detached body and smaller hook is a plus too.  👍 Thanks....Not real happy with my first and second versions... They all prlly catch though   

I am glad you like the wings. Filled up a bowl and tossed the cicada in and the wings look cool in the water.  I was going to pick up some dryer sheets and cut them into wings but I was worried about breakage. Now I just have to make some red eyes.

Hauled in a bass and brim. on these two. I try to keep it simple and the fish don’t seem to mind. Wings are from buck tail since I can’t find any elk hair.  More wing ideas would be appreciated. These were on a 6 and an 8. Got a few good ideas from you guys for sure.  

03DECE43-53BF-4D74-AEE4-3F00A9A59F14.jpeg

29320C7A-5706-440A-8E01-A0016AB24198.jpeg