Fly Tying
DFoster

Water recoveries-

Great stories everyone. For myself I can’t say I’ve lost too many items. I’ve lost two pairs of hemostats, one I found a week later on the bottom of the stream and the other is still missing in action. The only other thing I recall losing is a bottle of fly floatant.  So I guess I’m ahead in the lost and found department.

Mark finding a 44 Ruger Blackhawk in Alaska I would consider a good find. Here in Massachusetts I would wonder if it had been used in a crime-LOL.

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

Great stories everyone. For myself I can’t say I’ve lost too many items. I’ve lost two pairs of hemostats, one I found a week later on the bottom of the stream and the other is still missing in action. The only other thing I recall losing is a bottle of fly floatant.  So I guess I’m ahead in the lost and found department.

Mark finding a 44 Ruger Blackhawk in Alaska I would consider a good find. Here in Massachusetts I would wonder if it had been used in a crime-LOL.

People are flipping canoes and losing stuff all the time up here. The first thing a young GI does when he gets up here is buy a .44 in a shoulder holster for bears and a big Bowie knife for anything smaller than a bear. Then they get in a canoe and flip it. Many of the rivers are rougher than most down in the states and we have a lot of sweepers. The water is much colder too so no one spends much time looking for stuff.

I once found a .44 Redhawk on Kodiak island too. I also lost a .22 on the trap line once. so I'm .66 ahead of the game.

6 hours ago, skeet3t said:

8 lb. dumbbell with a piece of rope that has been used as an anchor. Apparently it got caught on a rock shelf and they cut the rope. Pink Power Bait. .44 Ruger Blackhawk would be a great find. What was the condition?

If you have lots of time, go to YT and search for "magnet fishing."

The Blackhawk wasn't in great shape. I rebuilt it and made a .50 Linebaugh out of it. I did find a .44 Redhawk that was in great condition except the parkey squirrels had chewed on the rubber Pachmayr grips

Some interesting finds.  Mine are generally limited to popping corks and topwater plugs deep in the marsh.  Boat fishermen lose all sorts of lures and terminal tackle in depths where my kayak can go.