Fly Tying
Flatsflytying

First Fly Tying Night, what to do?

Have been looking at attending a fly tying night for some time, several local shops/pubs have them. My question which I cant even find the answer on the web is what to bring? Should you pack all your tools and just enough material for a certain pattern you want to tie or a little bit of various items? also what do you carry your stuff in? These question have kept me from attending, of course the simplest answer would be to attend one and observe but I didnt do that haha. 

Joe. 

Call the person running the event and see if there's a program, like what are they going to tie. When I transport my stuff I use a multi pocket /section soft shoulder bag. Like a messenger bag but with more individual sections rather then just one big pocket

I use an old laptop bag and take only the materials needed for what I plan on tying along with a pair of scissors, bobbin, whip finisher, bodkin and such. The tools don't really take up much room and what I take is very minimal. I use a couple small Tupperware containers to hold my tools, SHHAN, hooks beads and what nots. Between the containers and the bag pockets there's plenty of places to store things. You should probably take a light and a 6' to 8' el cheapo extension cord and a small plastic sack for your clippings and waste. I attended a tying night, precovid of course, and I would plan on tying basic simple flies as I did not want to do anything major while socializing and enjoying the company. My group does not have a monthly plan or agenda but does do a fly of the month for beginners but mostly It's just 6 to 20 tiers sitting around doing their own thing and chatting about fishing and fly tying. 

bag.jpg

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

Call the person running the event and see if there's a program, like what are they going to tie. When I transport my stuff I use a multi pocket /section soft shoulder bag. Like a messenger bag but with more individual sections rather then just one big pocket

Good idea I’ll send him a message 

3 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I use an old laptop bag and take only the materials needed for what I plan on tying along with a pair of scissors, bobbin, whip finisher, bodkin and such. The tools don't really take up much room and what I take is very minimal. You should probably take a light and a 6' to 8' el cheapo extension cord and a small plastic sack for your clippings and waste. I attended a tying night, precovid of course, and I would plan on tying basic simple flies as I did not want to do anything major while socializing and enjoying the company. This group does not have a monthly plan or agenda. It's just 6 to 20 tiers Sitting around doing their own thing and chatting about fishing and fly tying. 

Didn’t even think about a light or extension cord. So it’s more of a hang out tie what you want to tie type theme. Great thank you 

check my edited post. Most that I have attended are basically to hang out and tie what you need but beginners are encouraged to come thru a monthly fly that some attendees tie and others don't. I would think most tying groups are rather informal. Mines at a local craft brewery or at least was at a local craft brewery. 

Poopdeck's old Laptop bag is a great idea for travel. Its perfect! I have one that is used for nothing. Wife always wants to toss it out. Now I have a use for it. 

Thanks! Poopdeck.

Yeah, a few tyers would meet in the Conservation Departments Log Cabin at the New York State Fairgrounds and sit around and tie a chew the fat and tie and tell a fish story or two.  New tyers were encouraged to come in but it wasn't advertised as well as it could have been.  And they always had an extra vise or two if someone came in empty handed and no formalities. 

Kim

I have an old school bag my Mom used when she was a teacher - it has the name Smith Carona on it!  BTW, I was born and bred in Cortland, NY!  For you youngsters Google it and you'll understand!

Kim

By the way, don't sweat it. Everybody comes with different stuff. One guy I swear brings his entire desk while another guy brings his stuff in a shoebox. Most all travel light though and bring only what they need. 

Cant take credit for the laptop bag. I picked idea up from someone here. Can't remember who though. 

I have a simple system.

I have 5 tackle boxes.

One contains my vise, tools, hooks, etc that I need to tie.

The other 4 contain materials.

Depending on what I want to tie, I take one of the 4 material tackle boxes along with my "tool box".

I use those same tackle boxes when I set up to tie at home.

13 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

I have a simple system.

I have 5 tackle boxes.

One contains my vise, tools, hooks, etc that I need to tie.

The other 4 contain materials.

Depending on what I want to tie, I take one of the 4 material tackle boxes along with my "tool box".

I use those same tackle boxes when I set up to tie at home.

I like this. By tackle boxes do you mean like the Plano storage boxes?

10 minutes ago, Flatsflytying said:

I like this. By tackle boxes do you mean like the Plano storage boxes?

Plano Boxes with one tray on top and the rest empty. This is the box I use. I also have a fold up "luggage" wheeled carrier so when I go to fly fishing/tying conclaves, I can stack the boxes at my car and wheel them into the venue.

878746382_ScreenShot2021-02-20at1_09_23PM.thumb.png.5eeb2ce2357c8a903007611d1abe999b.png

The only tying events I've attended are the "guided" ones.  The presenter has all the materials required and makes sure each tier is supplied.  Usually a little bag with everything in it ... sometimes they walk around and hand out the stuff.

I'm not "social" enough to go to a "tie your own flies" event.  What's the point?  I can tie my own flies right here at home.