Fly Tying
Rusty Shackleford

Soft Hackle Partridge body?

I don’t think there’s a lot of museum fly tyers here. I definitely know I’m not one of them

i just use orange tying thread or orange uni stretch in a bobbin holder  

I’m fishing them not framing them

fish don’t care if “ traditional “ tying materials are used

I substitute materials all the time, depending on what I have on hand. Like others have said, I don't think it matters to the fish. Sometimes, though, it does make a difference to the tier.

To paraphrase big Jim Leisenring 'We all tie for pleasure; I for Mine, you for yours'

an orange mesh vegetable/fruit bag, when pulled apart makes excellent fly body material

mesh-bags.jpg

gold bag material was used on this fly

Brahma-Gold.jpg

On 2/22/2021 at 9:03 AM, niveker said:

Spin the bobbin holder counter-clockwise while it hangs free off the hook. The thread will unwind and flatten. .  

Thanks Niveker, great tip! I appreciate you! Many tight lines!

On 2/22/2021 at 8:12 PM, redietz said:

It's available.  It's just called Morus silk now (and costs more than when it was called Pearsall's.)

Morus Silk Thread

The colors are the same numbers as Pearsall's. 

6a is the traditional color for a Partridge and Orange.

I use and like the Morus silk. The only problem I've had and this has been confirmed w/ a third party is that the quality control is a bit lacking in the spooling department. I was told it has to do w/ the machinery. Some spools are AOK, some spools the tension is way inconsistent and the thread will "spring" off the side of the bobbin.  

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

I use and like the Morus silk. The only problem I've had and this has been confirmed w/ a third party is that the quality control is a bit lacking in the spooling department. I was told it has to do w/ the machinery. Some spools are AOK, some spools the tension is way inconsistent and the thread will "spring" off the side of the bobbin.  

Sorry to hear,  I've had no problems.

45 minutes ago, redietz said:

Sorry to hear,  I've had no problems.

That's good news hope you don't run into that problem. It's intermittent at best but happens. 

Nothing wrong with attempting historical accuracy, if that is your thing.  I get a kick out of knowing I am using a pattern from 100 years ago.  That being said, silk was what they had.  Dave Hughes' book WET FLIES shows a lot of different body types.  Sylvester Nemesis books if you want to take a deep dive.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:30 AM, Rusty Shackleford said:

I want to tie some soft hackles up, specifically partridge and orange but all the recipes I've seen call for floss which as a beginner I have no experience with and from what I've heard, can be difficult to work with. Is there a simple substitute? all I really have at the moment in the proper color is 70D ultra thread.

Remember, these are your flies! You can substitute whenever you wish, especially when you don't have what is called for! ESPECIALLY color wise! This is an awesome group with

a lot of talented tiers! Feel free to ask a question!