Fly Tying
cphubert

Waiting....

Waiting for spring, the signs are starting. Boat (canoe's) registrations showed up today with my 2nd of the year seed catalog.

My real indicator is the male red wing blackbirds at the feeders should be within a week or two, might run a little later this year.  Had my first snow rain mix today, good heavy wet snow if the ground was bare it used to be called poor man's fertilizer. Still plenty of ice, but the trout season ends this weekend then it will be jigging perch until the ice fails. Nothing beats fried perch except fresh  fiddleheads and trout. Come on spring!

Yeah I'm ready for it. Real long cold spell here and tons of snow the past month. I am ready for fishing, warmer weather, getting outside and biking and seeing green trees again. Sadly here in Michigan we still have probably 2 more months of this till that happens.

Yes I'm ready now too.  We we're having a relatively easy winter until February arrived.  The past 3 weeks have been filled with snow storms which translates into 2 hours of snow blowing and shoveling to do it correctly- not exactly fun after working all day.  New England is not know for having a beautiful Spring, they are usually grey, damp and raw, with the occasional sunny 60 degree day followed by another snow storm.  New England winters seem to hold like a snapping turtle.  Many times the entire country will be in the 60's or better and then there we are with a forecast high of 42.  But right now though 42 would feel like summer!

I had to put on a jacket this morning.  Well, it was near 70 ... but that's still jacket weather when I'm not active.  (Driving to work isn't "active")

So, yeah, I'm tired of Winter, too.  Will it ever end ???

15 minutes ago, DFoster said:

right now though 42 would feel like summer

Low 40's by Sunday are predicted,  I may have to try and sneak away, we'll see. Have taken the dog for walks along the Swift the last two Sunday's, lots of rising above the slow deep pools, small black caddis and winter stones were out and about.  Robins were pretty active along the shoreline, must have been eating them.    

IMG-20210214-125513.jpg

IMG-20210214-125943.jpg

Snapshot-2.png

1 hour ago, niveker said:

Low 40's by Sunday are predicted,  I may have to try and sneak away, we'll see. Have taken the dog for walks along the Swift the last two Sunday's, lots of rising above the slow deep pools, small black caddis and winter stones were out and about.  Robins were pretty active along the shoreline, must have been eating them.    

IMG-20210214-125513.jpg

IMG-20210214-125943.jpg

Snapshot-2.png

They look like size 18's and 20's?   I hope you can get out on a nice late winter day.  I have to physically be in Winthrop on Sunday for my Grand daughter's 7th birthday party but I'm pretty sure my mind will be at the Swift. 😮

Yes winter caddis usually come off around 10 am to 1 pm  some colder days a little later. google Dave Goulet's winter caddis, easy tie, pretty effective 20's, 22's. I don't go smaller than that anymore unless I tie them on the tippet prior to leaving the house I've dropped my share of them with wet cold fingers and unless I'm standing on the snow I never find them.

12 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

It's actually 45f here today, first time out of the 20's in weeks....where's my shorts and sandles?! 😁

What? No speedo?

In the 60s today and tomorrow.

10 hours ago, DFoster said:

They look like size 18's and 20's?

Yes, there were a few winter stones approaching 1/2 inch, but most of both were about that size.  

9 hours ago, cphubert said:

Dave Goulet's winter caddis

Thanks for that suggestion.  

Making sawdust in the shop yesterday, had a couple of mosquitoes buzzing about my head.  It was 22 degrees outside and there is 15-18" of ice on the pond.  I know this whole "Climate Change" is an ongoing discussion, but mosquitoes in February is a bit odd.

Michael

2 minutes ago, essequamvideri said:

mosquitoes in February is a bit odd

Ay least they weren't your state bird! (blackflies for those unfamiliar with Maine's state "bird"))

23 minutes ago, cphubert said:

Ay least they weren't your state bird! (blackflies for those unfamiliar with Maine's state "bird"))

We have them here in Massachusetts as well and they make the first warm weeks of spring hell to be outside.  40% DEET works well enough to allow me to fish.