Fly Tying

Alright, who else is getting it? With the days getting noticeably longer and the temperatures presently being somewhat mild, I can't help being antsy for opening day on April 1st! I've tied more flies this past winter than any other winter by far, looking forward to putting them to good use more regularly. 

Went Sunday with my grandson. He is new at FFing and did great casting. Caught two trees which he said weighed "tree pounds."😊 Lost one fly but I told him if he wasn't losing flies, he wasn't fishing. Didn't catch anything due to a front coming in, giving them lockjaw. Will be going back and trying again. So much water, so little time!

Going to see about the two of us tying flies over his spring break in two weeks.

I haven't cast a line since November!  Here in Mass the fly fishing season is open all year but I generally don't get on the water until March.  Right about now is when every new fly from the vise start talking to me. "let's go, let's go"...

Opening Day... haven’t thought about that in many years... Down here in south Florida it just doesn’t apply.   We not only don’t have an opening day but right this moment the fishing is simply outstanding and our only concern is weather...

Inshore or offshore, freshwater, saltwater, or somewhere between... take your choice. 

Tomorrow I’ll be spending the day doing a bit of exploring while verifying that my motor is 100% since it just came  out of the shop, forcing me off the water for a week while guides I know were covered up in giant tarpon in the backcountry of Everglades National Park...

3 hours ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Alright, who else is getting it?

0yIQPgm.jpg

Oh oh Mr Kotter Mr Kotter me me me!!!

😄

I'm ready for fishing season. While my fav river (The Au Sable) is mostly open all year, the weather here in Michigan says other wise so there's about 3-4 months of non fishing here for me. I don't mind it though to be honest. I kind'a like the fact that a few months of no fishing helps to drive my desire to fish more. The first trip of the year is always meet with great excitement & anticipation which is very enjoyable. Kind of makes me feel like a kid at Christmas again.

3 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Caught two trees which he said weighed "tree pounds."😊 Lost one fly but I told him if he wasn't losing flies, he wasn't fishing.

Capture.JPG.f3a171822a150332f6c3a44393089a6e.JPG

"Be a hero.... Take a kid fishing"   That's my motto and I actually mean it... Always a great day when someone brings a kid on board (no matter how many hooks, lures, or flies I have to retrieve from one tree or another...).  With kids aboard I advise most to shorten the day a bit,  bring plenty of snacks - and I do my best to find action fishing as opposed to "that fish of a lifetime... When all else fails I allow them to try to catch the fish in my live well - bare handed... 

34 minutes ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

"Be a hero.... Take a kid fishing"   That's my motto and I actually mean it... Always a great day when someone brings a kid on board (no matter how many hooks, lures, or flies I have to retrieve from one tree or another...).  With kids aboard I advise most to shorten the day a bit,  bring plenty of snacks - and I do my best to find action fishing as opposed to "that fish of a lifetime... When all else fails I allow them to try to catch the fish in my live well - bare handed... 

I agree! Best thing is to find a pond with lots of bluegill. Lots of action as long as the worms or crickets last. Believe it or not, our daughter caught her first fish when she was nine months old.  We were fishing a farm pond in central KY. My wife was on the dam with Leslie in the stroller. She handed Leslie her Zebco UL spincast rod. Leslie waved it around like she was directing the New York Symphony Orchestra. As she raised the rod, a bluegill hit the worm! Her first!

4 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

As a grandfather of 6, all of whom have at least tried fly tying/fishing I too must agree.  Ever notice no one say's their favorite childhood memory was "playing video games"?

Actually went with wife, nephew in wheel chair and 9 year old niece to an access on Washita River where it comes out of Foss Lake. There will be a time when the creek is full with running white bass heading north for spawn and figured they'd be there since trees are budding but nothing. Couple of other guys trying and not a bite between us. Maybe Monday.

14 hours ago, adkfan said:

medicine for my fever 

Pretty fish, nice set-up, what are the rod and reel?

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Pretty fish, nice set-up, what are the rod and reel?

Thanks! That is a Fred Divine standard trout with a Peerless 1.5 reel. Fish is a nine mile creek brown on a pheasant tail dead drifted during an afternoon bwo hatch

Finally got out to scratch that itch.  Beautiful day on the Chauga in SC.  Some nice Rainbows, but no pictures as I was wet wading.

BB,  this is the place I mentioned.

Chauga.jpg

Chauga 2.jpg

I've been out only once but I plan to go after work as much as I can this week.  Here in Mass it's been really windy over the past week.  The small streams I usually fish are lined with overhangs and have narrow casting lanes.  A strong wind can really wreck a day.