Fly Tying

On 4/6/2021 at 9:19 AM, Noahguide said:

I was wet wading

Wet wading in April - that's living right!  Pretty stream.  

First great spring day for me today. 69 degrees, 3 mph wind, river levels at perfect shad fishing level and temperature and the shad somewhat cooperative. Spent 10 hours on the river (spinfishing) and we boated 23 shad and lost another 7. Another week or 10 days and we will double and maybe triple those numbers. 3 more weeks and it will be striper fishing time. What a great time of year, one I look forward to each April/May. 

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

First great spring day for me today. 69 degrees, 3 mph wind, river levels at perfect shad fishing level and temperature and the shad somewhat cooperative. Spent 10 hours on the river (spinfishing) and we boated 23 shad and lost another 7. Another week or 10 days and we will double and maybe triple those numbers. 3 more weeks and it will be striper fishing time. What a great time of year, one I look forward to each April/May. 

How do you fix the shad? Never tried it but hear it is good.

I don't. I took a bite decades ago and haven't had a second bite since. I think they taste horrible. They also have more bones then any fish I've ever seen.  They are just fun to catch because they fight hard, have paper mouths and are only in our area for a little over a month. It's our salmon run.

18 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Sounds like a great lot of fun. Good for you. I'm envious for you now. I've never gotten to fish for them but I've it in in VA. I've never heard of anybody eating them either.

Hows your boat running? And you new anchor?

Been trout fishing all week with great success.  Lots of 19-20” fish among the many dinks.  Water temps approaching prime time with crystal clear conditions for spring.  Most fish came to hand on small streamers fished on sink tips but early in the morning, topwater action was good.  Got a few more days on the water here along the Central Florida Gulf Coast before heading back home.  Its been a great Spring Break.

5 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Sounds like a great lot of fun. Good for you. I'm envious for you now. I've never gotten to fish for them but I've it in in VA. I've never heard of anybody eating them either.

Hows your boat running? And you new anchor?

The boat I saw running great but I've only de-winterized it and ran it in the driveway. On Wednesday I finished up an 11 month project at work with the last two weeks being very hectic. I didn't have time to actually put things back in the boat so we took my buddies 14' boat. Not near as comfortable to fish out of but it was ready to go and the weather was perfect for an 14' open tin boat. 

Spring flows are pretty low this year so I have no concerns with the anchor Holding. I'm going to try to get my boat out this Wednesday. got a lot of gas to run out of it. 

17 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

The boat I saw running great but I've only de-winterized it and ran it in the driveway. On Wednesday I finished up an 11 month project at work with the last two weeks being very hectic. I didn't have time to actually put things back in the boat so we took my buddies 14' boat. Not near as comfortable to fish out of but it was ready to go and the weather was perfect for an 14' open tin boat. 

Spring flows are pretty low this year so I have no concerns with the anchor Holding. I'm going to try to get my boat out this Wednesday. got a lot of gas to run out of it. 

Have fun.

I got out for a few hours this week on some local stocked water.  No trout to report but plenty of River Herring and Fall Fish kept things interesting.  Two caught on the same cast had me thinking small Bow.   I'm still working on what the stocked Rainbows are eating.  The small stones have been hatching for two weeks but no visible rises at all.  Obviously I tried a lot small stone nymphs as well as emergers and drys all without success except for the River Herring and Fall Fish.  No complaints from me though It's great to be out there fishing.

IMG_8727.thumb.PNG.3c4fae65729ac076ea0d6bb8ac26d8e5.PNG

IMG_8747.thumb.JPG.536c40e6963de8a3095df22ad41fdc02.JPGIMG_8745.thumb.JPG.b7bae1321f1df10aed24317ba9d651fa.JPGIMG_8748.thumb.JPG.324a514684ec562462788fbdf1be6072.JPGIMG_8749.thumb.JPG.1d41ef8a2041e046b1597007f2582640.JPG