Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Christian.s

Idea to keep norvise bobbin spools organized?

Here is something I came up with yesterday using a Cricut machine and some colored vinyl.

For UTC red = 70 denier yellow = 140

Going to make some for UNI thread sizes as well.

BBAAF514-06AE-4E67-B29E-8F5DDD248175.jpeg

12 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Nice!!!

Thanks!

8 hours ago, petelangevin said:

I like it,   You should market that

was thinking about it, I would sell them for $2 each plus shipping but not sure if that would be to exapensive, would cover time and materials.

5 hours ago, petelangevin said:

You might want to do more colors ,  some people tie with multiple thread sizes.   

5 hours ago, Bimini15 said:

That is a great idea. Super useful, it seems.

Sell them in packs. I doubt people are going to want just one.

Yeah I wan planning to make red and yellow for UTC and orange and green for UNI for the most common thread sizes.

Maybe a 12 pack 6 of each color for $20

Since you're specifically targeting Norvise Bobbin users, don't sell them for a low price.  If they can afford the vise and/or bobbins, they've got money to burn on fly tying accessories.  Value your time as if you were at a job ... because if they start selling in high numbers, it will BE a job.  Material handling, set up, packaging and shipping all takes time.

Which is why you can't quit the day job. My guess is there aren't many people buying butt tons of norvise spools who are in need of a general color coded identification system.  Throw in the fact that the competition is a sharpie that more readily and easily identifies the thread. No doubt there are certain vise owners that will pay up for things but I would think they would still want something a little more functional. For example, Perhaps little circular colored rings with the thread type printed on it. No sharpie can compete against that. 

I think it's great you came up with something that works for you, you did it yourself and your having a blast with your "wife's" cricut machine. However, as a realist I see no worthwhile business opportunity in this. 

I follow Norm's method, and simply use a marker or nail polish to mark the spools.  I don't use that many different threads, and almost all my thread is white or monofilament.  So I have 3 or 4 spools wound with the same sizes.  It then is a long time before reloading the spools.  Currently have 18 spools.  and 4 bobbins.