Fly Tying
salmobytes

Nymph Baits

Bass fishermen  sometimes refer to lumps of soft plastic molded independently of any hook as Grub Baits.  Does that make this one a Nymph Bait? It was tied on a waxed (ultra-thin) beading needle. And then attached to the hook after it was made.  I'll have to make another one with a bead up front, on the hook but before the nymph is attached.

up-ztk2021-02-26-16.00.24ZSDMap_Nymph-ba

If I was a fish that would look edible. As a fisherman I'd tie that on my line for any freshwater fish as a searching pattern. Nice tie!

What you've tied is an extended body nymph, not sure I've seen one before.  I've seen articulated nymphs.  I tie extended body mayflies and use foam for the body.   Interesting idea.  Nice job on it.  A bead on that short a hook might not leave enough room to tie in the legs and build a thorax.  You might consider using a small bead as the thorax, pull the material over it and tie it down in front of the bead.

by iteself and then with a #16 scud hook. On a snell. Might be a bit too much Partridge hackle. Sparser would have been better.

up-ztk2021-03-07-16.53.12ZSDMap_Nymph-ba

up-ztk2021-03-08-16.04.32ZSDMap_Nymph-ba

On 2/26/2021 at 5:14 PM, salmobytes said:

Bass fishermen  sometimes refer to lumps of soft plastic molded independently of any hook as Grub Baits.  Does that make this one a Nymph Bait? It was tied on a waxed (ultra-thin) beading needle. And then attached to the hook after it was made.  I'll have to make another one with a bead up front, on the hook but before the nymph is attached.

up-ztk2021-02-26-16.00.24ZSDMap_Nymph-ba

On 2/28/2021 at 9:14 AM, salmobytes said:

This moroning's effort

up-ztk2021-02-28-07.55.07ZSDMap_Nymph-ba

Great tie. Is it a bug you made up, or does it have a name or recipe? That sucker looks like it will fish and catch! Thanks for posting!

No name. Just a bug I made up. A generic nymph.  Tying nymphs on a needle, sliding them off the needle and then attaching to a hook (like the above) is growing on me.  It's easier to tie on a needle (thin #10 beading needle) than trying to tie inside teh bend of a hook.