Fly Tying
flytire

March Flies From the Vise

You did a good job, though...

For eyes over synthetic fibers like EP, Congo, etc,... I like thicker glues like Liquid Fusion. Even gel superglue works better than the thinner regular superglue.

+1 on the gel for 👁 on synthetic.. then liquid fusion or Uv after it dries to make them last even longer.

@Sandan  beautiful fish there bud ! Heart goes out to Colorado tonight. 😢

8 hours ago, danthebugman said:

Tried my hand at an EP Minnow tonight. Not my favorite fly to tie. I have super glue all over my fingers from trying to get the eyes on 😒.

20210322_212828.jpg

I like to use the gel type superglue for eyes. It doesn't flow into the hair, but does grip the hair very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-1363589-6-Ultra-Control-Bottles/dp/B01EZTPXEO/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=loctite+gel+superglue&qid=1616496587&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzOEhHNE1JVTlTQzlYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTY2NzEzMkVBRlFISExDQkRRTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTkxMTAzNEZUSVRIMDA2QkZIJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Also, when setting the eye I like to use the backside of the bodkin to add pressure while the glue sets. Keeps your fingers out of the area.

10 hours ago, danthebugman said:

Tried my hand at an EP Minnow tonight. Not my favorite fly to tie. I have super glue all over my fingers from trying to get the eyes on 😒.

20210322_212828.jpg

Look on the bright side, it's better than getting superglue all over your eyes getting the fingers on!

Kim ;) 

Egg-Sucking-Leech-1080.jpg

Egg Sucking Leech

Hook - 2XL, 3XL, 4XL, streamer/nymph hook, sizes 6-12

Bead - Brass or tungsten orange bead

Weight - Lead/lead free wire

Thread – Black or brown

Tail - Dark-brown marabou

Body - Fiery Brown Sybai Spectra Flash Dubbing or equivalent

Can also be tied in all black

9 hours ago, Moshup said:

@Sandan  beautiful fish there bud ! Heart goes out to Colorado tonight. 😢

@Moshup, Thank you. Tragic what happened just terrible

18 minutes ago, mikemac1 said:

It common knowledge that fish that feed on baitfish tend to key on the eyes of their prey.  So whimsically, I tied a couple of flies that accentuate the eyes.

IMG_0264.MOV 11.79 MB ¡ 1 download IMG_0263.MOV 20.52 MB ¡ 0 downloads

There was an article I read from Saltwater Sportsman a long time ago that talked about use of eyes. There was a discussion of two eyes on one side, eyes in weird locations on the lure, damaged looking eyes...who knows, might be worth a try...

Big-Mac-Pupa-Collage.jpg

Big Mac Pupa
John Tavenner

Hook - Curved style
Thread - Color of your choice. Only limited to colors of available thread
Ribbing - Clear v-rib, larva lace etc
Body - Thread
Head - Black

1 hour ago, upstatetrout said:

What size?  If they are bigger than 22 then they realy don't catch fish!!!

That's a bold statement. Which flies? (it's better if you quote the guy you are talking about or at least say his name)

Which fish? I bet they will !!!!. Some fish will literally eat any fly. If a guy liked to fish for pan fish or grayling, he could probably catch a fish on any fly that wasn't too big to fit in its mouth. IMHO. I have run into rainbows up here that would almost hit anything at times too. I do pretty good with midges on 14's at times.

Blanket statements are problematic.

20 hours ago, Bimini15 said:

You did a good job, though...

For eyes over synthetic fibers like EP, Congo, etc,... I like thicker glues like Liquid Fusion. Even gel superglue works better than the thinner regular superglue.

19 hours ago, caloosa bug said:

+1 on the gel for 👁 on synthetic.. then liquid fusion or Uv after it dries to make them last even longer.

12 hours ago, Chasing_Tails said:

I like to use the gel type superglue for eyes. It doesn't flow into the hair, but does grip the hair very well.

Also, when setting the eye I like to use the backside of the bodkin to add pressure while the glue sets. Keeps your fingers out of the area.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try something a bit thicker next time.  I was trying to use the bodkin to pick them up and put them on with a dab of superglue.  The first one went fine, but the second one was all kinds of a pain.  It kept falling off the bodkin and getting stuck to everything, but the fly.

Spent the afternoon tying.  Among other things I added more seaducers and some small clousers to the fly box.

20210323_160605.jpg

20210323_150615.jpg