Fly Tying
DFoster

Stretch skin substitute.

This morning my wife was cutting these things off of a new blouse and asked me if they were of any use in tying.  After fishing them out of the trash I was informed that they are commonly sewn onto women's blouses to prevent them from falling off slippery wood clothes hangers.  She said women cut them off because they can be uncomfortable and are not really necessary depending on what kind of clothes hangers they use.  As shown below they can be gloss clear or opaque, are elastic, 5MM wide, less than half an MM thick and the length is about 15". It should make a great sub for stretch skin.  Communication with your spouse is important. 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg.c64c3901b9348beba6a1940479745fd1.jpg

A while ago I picked up some of the thicker stuff @SilverCreek mentions in his post on the other site, he's right, the thickness makes it difficult to work with.  Didn't realize they made it in a thinner version. I'll try that next time I'm near a HL

12 hours ago, niveker said:

A while ago I picked up some of the thicker stuff @SilverCreek mentions in his post on the other site, he's right, the thickness makes it difficult to work with.  Didn't realize they made it in a thinner version. I'll try that next time I'm near a HL

The stuff my wife cut off was about the same thickness as Hareline Scud back.  I'll try it today and see how it does. 

You know what?  If there ever is some sort of holocaust / dooms day event, ect. I am most positive that us fly tyers will survive by dumpster diving. Think about it..LOL  

2 hours ago, flytire said:

If it stretches it should get thinner

Yeah, it does.  Problem is, it's so thick you have to crank down and double up on the thread to get it to stretch without springing back.  Probably be okay for big flies.  

Wife's been saving those for years for me.I dont use much of it and surely have a lifetime supply.It is a little big for nymphs but good for crayfish .