Fly Tying
George Werbacher

The Royal Wulff

George, I think its ok for you to post vids on you tube, but I would remove the how to in the title. you only been tying flies for 8 months and your making how to videos. misleading for others trying to learn some of these patterns. might be because of subpar materials but I think its lack of experience. I tie quite a few wulffs every year 500 or so maybe. I sell or trade them to fly shops. if you want ill send you everything you need for tying the royal wulff.

9 minutes ago, upnorthtier said:

George, I think its ok for you to post vids on you tube, but I would remove the how to in the title. you only been tying flies for 8 months and your making how to videos. misleading for others trying to learn some of these patterns. might be because of subpar materials but I think its lack of experience. I tie quite a few wulffs every year 500 or so maybe. I sell or trade them to fly shops. if you want ill send you everything you need for tying the royal wulff.

I will pass on that. The idea is you dont have to be an expert to tie them and fish with with them. I add how long I have been tying so people might have the confidence to give it a try. I dont offer to sell them, or teach, I just share. Cmon man..you only have to be an expert to post something on Youtube or share. I dont even have any more of response to that..

I should just give up..call it quits and not try and learn correctly..maybe buy them from you or a shop. 

1 hour ago, Moshup said:

George,

A lot of these guys have a ton of stuff that they’ll probably  take to the grave with them . Maybe one of them will send

you a care package beforehand... 🙂

Yeah. 

In my book. There are two things to becoming an expert. The first is the knowledge of the subject and without learning correctly it will never happen. The second is the motivation to keep learning and improving. The problem is we all start off motivated but lacking knowledge and then we have the knowledge but the motivation is gone. I have the motivation and I can assure you I will develop the knowledge (especially when people try to act superior, offer crappy advice, or just be a troll). The problem with trolls is they belong under the bridge but ending up scaring the fish I am trying so hard to learn how to catch.

5 minutes ago, George Werbacher said:

I will pass on that. The idea is you dont have to be an expert to tie them and fish with with them. I add how long I have been tying so people might have the confidence to give it a try. I dont offer to sell them, or teach, I just share. Cmon man..you only have to be an expert to post something on Youtube or share. I dont even have any more of response to that..

I should just give up..call it quits and not try and learn correctly..maybe buy them from you or a shop. 

George I was not trying to insulte you or get you to quite tying flies its all for fun. but the title of your video  is how to tie a royal wulff. how to=teaching

DSC_0078 (2).JPG

DSC_0079 (3).JPG

DSC_0081_(1).JPG

DSC_0081 (2).JPG

DSC_0082 (2).JPG

DSC_0082 (3).JPG

@George Werbacher, Well, if nothing else, George, your posts certainly do create alot of comments.  

FWIW, your other post @ the Stimulator with foam body and ostrich herl got me to tie up a  Stimulator variant that I quite like and will submit to the real judges later this year.  If its a success I'll call it George's Stimulator, so no one's feathers get ruffled, pardon the pun.  I will post a pic in that topic later.

Keep on keeping on.      

Just now, upnorthtier said:

George I was not trying to insulte you or get you to quite tying flies its all for fun. but the title of your video  is how to tie a royal wulff. how to=teaching

DSC_0078 (2).JPG

DSC_0079 (3).JPG

DSC_0081_(1).JPG

DSC_0081 (2).JPG

DSC_0082 (2).JPG

DSC_0082 (3).JPG

I know and actually respect your opinion. Critique the bug and I promise you if it is true..i will make another video as i get better and show how to improve. If the title was how to tie a professional bug, Bug video taught by a professional I would agree. Thats a lot of bugs..You need to make a video..probably do it blindfolded.

In my book. There are two things to becoming an expert. The first is the knowledge of the subject and without learning correctly it will never happen. The second is the motivation to keep learning and improving. The problem is we all start off motivated but lacking knowledge and after time we have the knowledge but the motivation is gone. I have the motivation and I can assure you I will develop the knowledge and keep the motivation.

thats is really a lot of bugs.

5 minutes ago, niveker said:

@George Werbacher, Well, if nothing else, George, your posts certainly do create alot of comments.  

FWIW, your other post @ the Stimulator with foam body and ostrich herl got me to tie up a  Stimulator variant that I quite like and will submit to the real judges later this year.  If its a success I'll call it George's Stimulator, so no one's feathers get ruffled, pardon the pun.  I will post a pic in that topic later.

Keep on keeping on.      

Thats awesome. the truth is though is everyone  here participated in that one (beat me up almost as bad as the this one ( rename it The Royal Pain in A..)..How about the FTF Stimulator. Thats got a nice ring.

Hi George, Here's the problem as I see it. Fly tying is steeped in tradition. Many of these flies have been tied the way they are for a long time. They call for specific hooks and specific materials. When I became a moderator here, I made it a point to try and make this a kinder place for people to post, but quite honestly when I saw your first post of the simulator I knew you were going to have a hard time here.

Many people tie for a long time before posting a video. They practice and perfect the craft. To post a video that shows a poorly tied fly and label it, "How to ..." when it's not the way to tie it is going to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

At first you were taking the critique in a good way, now you're starting to get heartache over it. 

The problem is not that you are a new tier, and not that you like to video your work. The problem, as I see it is, that you are posting "how to" videos on incorrect flies. You could title them "My take on the ..." or "A variation of the ..." You would need to put in there that you used certain materials because that's what you had on hand.

You can tie what ever you want but don't call it what it's not. These people can get cranky.

The job of us moderators is to keep things from getting out of hand. If these posts get out of hand we will have to delete them.

If you are here to learn, learn. These guys are really trying to be kind.

I wanted to share something I just tied about 10 minutes ago. It isn't about the pattern or how the fly looks..but 6 months ago I couldn't tie this let alone in 10 minutes. Can someone tell me whats unique about the fly?

lil_red.jpg

It is unique because it is tied by you George.  Enjoy the benefits of  tying and the improvements will follow as

they already apparently have.  Lots of good guys on this board and they offer helpful good advice. 

Just now, Moshup said:

It is unique because it is tied by you George.  Enjoy the benefits of  tying and the improvements will follow as

they already apparently have.  Lots of good guys on this board and they offer helpful good advice. 

having a little fun..rough day at work. It is actually something I was thinking about with all the talk about materials and cost. lol..my wife calls me unique and I am not sure if that is a compliment..lol

4 hours ago, George Werbacher said:

... because I always crowd the eye. Rookie mistake...

I am on a really limited budget for materials ... We learn to adapt and work with what we have on the table.

George,

If I may.

1: I watched part of your video and what I saw was just what I expected. You start out at the 30% point, then you overwrap "right up to the eye".  Here's a tip that just might help you.  Start where you want, but don't bring your thread all the way to the eye. Traditionally a hook eye, or maybe two depending, of bare shank is left for the head. That way you have a visual reference point to not cross, call it the "no tie zone". If you if you stay out of the zone you won't be as susceptible to rushing the head. some times watching a video can help, particularly when it comes to technique. https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-tying-videos/techniques/986-how_to_make_a_neat_head_on_a_fly

2: We're all different but if when I was starting out a truly generous offer of the correct materials for a pattern was made available to me I'd jump at the opportunity.  Macaw, macaw.

and 

3: It's Lee Wulff, not Leo. "Lee Wulff (February 10, 1905 – April 28, 1991), born Henry Leon Wulff" which might help with the "Flatbush" and Uncle Leo references.

6 minutes ago, Sandan said:

George,

If I may.

1: I watched part of your video and what I saw was just what I expected. You start out at the 30% point, then you overwrap "right up to the eye".  Here's a tip that just might help you.  Start where you want, but don't bring your thread all the way to the eye. Traditionally a hook eye or maybe two depending, of bare shank is left for the head. That way you have a visual reference point to not cross, call it the "no tie zone". If you if you stay out of the zone you won't be as susceptible to rushing the head. some times watching a video can help, particularly when it comes to technique. https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-tying-videos/techniques/986-how_to_make_a_neat_head_on_a_fly

2: We're all different but if when I was starting out a truly generous offer of the correct materials for a pattern was made available to me I'd jump at the opportunity.

and 

3: It's Lee Wulff, not Leo. "Lee Wulff (February 10, 1905 – April 28, 1991), born Henry Leon Wulff" which might help with the "Flatbush" and Uncle Leo references.

I will watch Orvis videos. I stay away from videos where the pattern doesn't match what I am working on or the person does there own unique take on a fly. I like the pictures but really want to learn the procedures like what you just shared. Leo just got stuck in my head and I have been known to call people by their wrong names for years. I was at the beach all weekend and asked Alexa to set the alarm. it never went off because it was the ice cube bucket. 

Good tip..will start today..start the thread two eye distances from the eye unless the pattern calls for something different. thank you

39 minutes ago, George Werbacher said:

I wanted to share something I just tied about 10 minutes ago. It isn't about the pattern or how the fly looks..but 6 months ago I couldn't tie this let alone in 10 minutes. Can someone tell me whats unique about the fly?

lil_red.jpg

It is done with a single feather.

3 hours ago, George Werbacher said:

Can someone tell me whats unique about the fly?

lil_red.jpg

It is what is known as a "variant" dry fly pattern which is a type of dry fly tied with oversized dry fly hackle.

They are skater or skittering fly patterns.

https://www.flydreamers.com/en/fly-tying/variant-vl125

https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-tying-videos/dry-flies/997-cream_variant

"For the Variant’s long, stiff tail.......measure to form a tail a full 2 hook shanks in length and transfer that measurement rearward to the start of the hook bend........

It’s important to get the geometry right with this fly, so it rests correctly on the water’s surface and can be skittered along without sinking. If you can set it down and have the tip of the tail, the bottom of the hook and the tips of the hackle all in the same plane, you’ve pretty much nailed it."

2588c9ad84fb184601e75915b90c3352.jpg