Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Really hard time lately

Steeldrifter,

This past week has been a $hit show of sleep.  Too much woodworking and too much yard work to do.  However, a ray of light came yesterday.  I had a consult with a hand surgeon.  Over a 45 min. meeting (due to my questions) I elected to have steroid injections in both hands and waiting on a call to schedule surgery.  Last night I actually slept pain free.  I thing my body has gotten used to the tossing and turning during the night, so I did some of that.  However, it was pain free.  

I really do hope you can find a path to relief from you tinnitus.

Michael

In 2 weeks I'm off to see an actual eye, ear, nose and throat MD.  I was summoned for jury duty and the only responsible action on my part is to apply for a disqualification due to my hearing.  People speaking in churches, gymnasiums, town halls all sound like Charlie Browns teacher to me.  Of course the state is going to make this painful and will not accept the half dozen hearing test results from the Beltone "audiologist".   Apparently "Audiologist credentials"  aren't really credentials as far as the state is concerned even after I told them they're in a frame and on display at their office-   Anyway my note needs to be from an actual MD.  That means either a wasted precious vacation day plus a co pay or I could go and keep asking "what?" until I get thrown out. 

That's ridiculous. They will take any ol' note from an employer to excuse someone from jury duty, but they won't accept something from an Audiologist whom is a trained MD. Unreal. 

8 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

That's ridiculous. They will take any ol' note from an employer to excuse someone from jury duty, but they won't accept something from an Audiologist whom is a trained MD. Unreal. 

Audiologist is not a "doctor" = physician

He would need an excuse from an Otolaryngologist = medical doctor

https://www.riesberginstitute.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-an-audiologist-and-an-otolaryngologist-ent

My point is they take notes from non-doctors whom are just employers. Hell when I was younger my boss as the Landscaping co I worked for wrote a note that excused me. An audiologist now is required to have a doctoral in audiology. Hearing is a pretty important part of the human body so IMO a professional that is educated & skilled in that area should trump just some Joe Schmo.

14 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

My point is they take notes from non-doctors whom are just employers. Hell when I was younger my boss as the Landscaping co I worked for wrote a note that excused me. An audiologist now is required to have a doctoral in audiology. Hearing is a pretty important part of the human body so IMO a professional that is educated & skilled in that area should trump just some Joe Schmo.

Apparently not.

Here is a medical release form. It requires a medical doctor's signature plus the medical license number.

https://www.iowacourts.gov/static/media/cms/MEDICAL_EXCUSE_FROM_JURY_DUTY_B6847C0F3C8AE.pdf

The Basic Requirements of a Medical Excuse

In order to be excused for medical reasons, any individuals summoned for jury duty need to provide the court written evidence from a licensed medical doctor that they cannot meet these required qualifications. Sometimes a doctor's note verifies that the patient "is being treated" for a particular condition. This seldom qualifies for an exemption, because being treated for a condition may or may not prevent a person from serving. The medical excuse must specifically assert that the condition prevents a person from fulfilling the requirements. Some doctors are aware of this distinction, but it's a good idea when you're asking a doctor for the required written excuse to observe that it must verify the incapability as well as the condition.

https://legalbeagle.com/7640555-doctors-say-jury-duty.html

You are totally missing my point and trying to get way to technical on this. I am simply saying to excuse someone from jury duty, IMO a note from a certified Audiologist "should" be considered good enough. Not saying it "is" but saying it "should" if things were done in a common sense fashion. Which obviously they are not.

5 hours ago, DFoster said:

I could go and keep asking "what?" until I get thrown out.

That should work. LOL

An audiologist is not a medical doctor. They have a masters degree. Some continue their education and obtain a doctorates degree but not one that makes them a medical doctor.  They are the ones that like to be called doctor but they are no more a medical doctor than my car mechanic. 

Jury duty is a civic responsibility and not something that law appreciating members of society should ever seek to avoid. Jury duty is the rump shaker of our justice system. It is what seperate us from evil, injustice, tyrants and oppression. I'm sorry but getting out of jury duty should be way more difficult then simply submitting a letter from a person with a masters degree. Just one mans humble opinion, yours may vary. 

Unreal, this has got way off topic from what my original post starting this thread is about, which I am still dealing with (my current health) and still having a very difficult time on some days with like today. So if you guys want to nit pick about the education of an audiologist, or what qualifies someone as a doctor or a medical professional,or any other crap like this about this stuff then start another post. I swear sometimes the way people go back and forth over the tiniest stuff online just amazes me.

3 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I'm sorry but getting out of jury duty should be way more difficult then simply submitting a letter from a person with a masters degree.

Because, if I'm being falsely accused of a crime, I want some pissed off people who just want to get the "duty" over with judging me.

On the other hand:

I'm with DFoster, in that I'd be useless as a juror, since I wouldn't be able to hear any of the testimony from soft spoken people.  I'd also be useless because I'd be one of those people who didn't want to be there.  I'm too judgmental and would convict or not just from the looks of the accused. 

A cute girl, for instance, would be innocent, even if she still had the murder weapon in her hands on the witness stand!

2 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Yikes, we totally agree...  

👍

Yikes indeed.

2 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Unreal, this has got way off topic from what my original post starting this thread is about, which I am still dealing with (my current health) and still having a very difficult time on some days with like today. So if you guys want to nit pick about the education of an audiologist, or what qualifies someone as a doctor or a medical professional,or any other crap like this about this stuff then start another post. I swear sometimes the way people go back and forth over the tiniest stuff online just amazes me.

I do feel your pain and hope you find an answer. In fact I wish I had the answer for you but I don't. I'm not arguing or trying to take a thread off topic I'm just discussing and this is what happens during discussions. My bad. 

14 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Because, if I'm being falsely accused of a crime, I want some pissed off people who just want to get the "duty" over with judging me.

On the other hand:

I'm with DFoster, in that I'd be useless as a juror, since I wouldn't be able to hear any of the testimony from soft spoken people.  I'd also be useless because I'd be one of those people who didn't want to be there.  I'm too judgmental and would convict or not just from the looks of the accused. 

A cute girl, for instance, would be innocent, even if she still had the murder weapon in her hands on the witness stand!

Sir, you our excused. Thank you for coming. 

16 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Jury duty is a civic responsibility and not something that law appreciating members of society should ever seek to avoid. Jury duty is the rump shaker of our justice system. It is what seperate us from evil, injustice, tyrants and oppression. I'm sorry but getting out of jury duty should be way more difficult then simply submitting a letter from a person with a masters degree. Just one mans humble opinion, yours may vary. 

I completely agree with your statement.  To be clear my request to be excused is to maintain the integrity of the system and not because I just don't want to go.  My civic duty is to make the authorities aware that I can't hear well enough to serve.  If I need to pay a co pay and take time from work for a doctors note then so be it.   What they choose to do with that information is beyond my control. 

Even with $6.500 hearing aids, in general conversation I miss at least 50% of what's being said.  I constantly have to ask my family and coworkers to repeat themselves and I have to focus on their statements or read lips to fill in the blanks.  And that's with people standing 2 feet away talking directly to me and sometimes I still get it wrong.   That's Ok because coming home with corn flakes instead of shake and bake isn't a big deal, putting someone in prison or denying justice to those who deserve it is.   Good conscience will not allow me to sit in judgement of someone with potentially massive implications to their life or the lives of others.