Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
upnorthtier

adams 3 way

From an aesthetics standpoint, I like the traditional grizzly and brown. For whatever reason I just think it looks cool. I'm no entomologist, but the cree does look more natural to me.

48 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

It is hard to come up with an original way to misbehave in New Orleans.

Tempting, though

The middle one would work really well for hot, sunny days for grayling. the one on the right and the one on the left look the same, except the one on the left looks like it has grizzly hackle. I think the one on the left would work on overcast days for grayling. I have not had much luck with brighter colored flies for trout; I think they like darker colors in the pond I fish. 

22 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

brown & grizz here, too... The cree needs color, maybe brown or ginger wings... maybe a gold rib

but then it wouldn't be an adams...

I thought this was a good idea. I tied 2 ???? flies, used lagartun fine oval gold French tinsel on the body, one fly with brahma hen march brown for the wing and the other brahma hen tan.

Are they adams?,  adams variant?, or something else?

I really like how they turned out. so much that I have enough of the oval tinsel to tie a dz or so and I'm going to finish to spool tying these.

837795407_DSC_0079(5).thumb.JPG.87deb6d03516cfceb871c10395ff232a.JPG

Cree for me, but I’d fish all three!

The Adams is one of my all-time favorites and I tie and fish it regularly.  I can note no noticeable difference in success rate between cree, barred dark ginger, or brown and grizzly mix.

If I am tying for my own box, cree gets the call.  If gifting to another, grizzly/brown mix.

They all look great,the final choice will be made by the fish.Of course they can change their minds from day to day also.Even the pond bluegills get picky and never can decide amongst themselves which fly is better,