Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

AK Salmon flys

Got a start on some for our trip.  DD says she booked the flights.  3rd or 4th week in July.  Got plenty of time to get vaccinated/ tested.  Still gotta finalize everything.  ..

Input welcome.   

55E84E3F-7553-4667-AC64-61721F0FC474.jpeg

The bottom fly on your last post is a egg sucking leech, which is legendary. The smaller flies don't work very well for saltwater. Mabey in freshwater, though. Here are some other suggestions: Marabou flies, bucktail flies, Clouser minnows, and dolly llamas. Where are you going to and what species of salmon are you fishing for?

3 hours ago, denduke said:

For the fly/lure Nazis,  “if you can cast with the flyrod it’s still a fly...” per MikeyShell..😝

Yep!  I stand by that opinion.

And it's "Chell" ... not "shell".  😉

ohhhhhhhhhhh king salmon. Use big spey flies, preferably with some chartreuse as a tail and a dark body. And dolly llamas with still work for kings, because those flies are the best for salmon. If you don't know what a dolly llama is you should definitely look it up. They are VERY good. as for the flies you tied, I don't think they would hit topwater, but everything else looks good.

Thanks Kiddo!   Like I said mat’l needs upgraded.  Ain’t got the right tibbar strips.

Really nice ties, i'm sure you will hook in to some with those flies.

I'm form the Yukon. I usually go down to Haines AK 3 to 4 times a year (4 hr drive), missed last year with the border being closed---dam covid, I hope I can make it down there this year, missed it a lot. Good times and a lot of fun. If you want I can post a pic of some of my favorite flies to give you more ideas.

check out this vid. I'll be tying myself a few of these if I'm allowed in Haines

1 hour ago, upnorthtier said:

If you want I can post a pic of some of my favorite flies to give you more ideas.

By all means UP.  I am thirsting for info and not lotta folks on here with it.  Haven’t watched the whole video yet.  I think some of my salty flies would work up there but we may be too far inland.  Not sure about fishing at end of trip at Anchorage/salty kinda(?).  Makes me wonder if they guit eating up river and strike outa anger/reflex, putting a shrimp, squid in their face might work?Any way I use the mesh/coils on shrimp and squids down here in Dixie.  Thanks!!

39FBFEE2-2541-427B-A28F-BB24C55AA5C3.png

68C2ED0F-99CB-4488-8D13-79807CAC88EB.jpeg

97D9BFB7-FA41-47E4-9F69-B9D216E240A1.jpeg

53426781-1013-4CA3-9EBB-A9BB91F807EB.jpeg

I would swing all the flies above even if you're inland a ways. I used to catch kings in the Teslin river years ago, almost 2000 miles from the bearing sea. its been closed for I think 6 years now. Cant even catch and release, the run is to low, maybe this year. The biggest king I caught there was 35 lbs,  was probably 60 lbs when it entered the Yukon river, was still a great fight. Bring all those shrimps and squids with you.

Good to know; what about rats, pollywogs, gurglers?   Surface stuff?  Any luck?

I never used surface flies, I think you want to be down in the water column, sometimes bouncing off the bottom. size 1/0 to 6 for the fliesDSC_0080_(2).thumb.JPG.fe48ccbd85cb449e046fe9aca847f8f9.JPG

that purple comet is my favorite fly. seems I always end up with it on my line

1658055872_DSC_0080(6).thumb.JPG.1c01c548a55946679e5c1e3b22cd7945.JPG

of course eggs.

641137904_DSC_0081(2).thumb.JPG.b34f87c93e983d47f57935e51103e0fe.JPG

I would add some intruders and of course the Russian river.

Comets look good 👍are they weighted or just chain bead?  Use any color as long as it’s purple....