Fly Tying
chugbug27

1941 Herter's Fly Tying Treatise

Interesting find. I'll take a better look at it when I have more time.

I have a hard copy of Herter's 'Professional Fly Tying and Spinner Lure Making Manual'.  It includes the statement "More copies have been sold of this book than any other book in the world ever written about fly tying, or fly fishing or any sporting subject."

Wow!  432 pages, amazing.  Way ahead of second place on covering the most basics.  The entomology is worth the price of admission. Would be perfect for the beginner especially.   My first bobbin was a heavy Herters.  Had to load the thread from your spool to the plastic one.

7803AACC-B9BB-43B1-9992-D9096CCB55C8.png

1 hour ago, chugbug27 said:

Lots of opinions

Anything written by George Herter is going have lots of opinions.

13 minutes ago, redietz said:

Anything written by George Herter is going have lots of opinions.

Read this about Herter:

https://www.startribune.com/herter-s-catalog-is-long-gone-but-not-forgotten/291167741/

"Herter labeled most of his products “world famous” or “model perfect,” and he claimed many were endorsed by the North Star Guides Association — which didn’t exist.....

Among the more unusual products George Herter sold was a fish call.

“That’s one of my favorites,’’ Lodermeier said. “It was a can painted like a lure,’’ and operated like a bell. “You put it down in the water and pulled a string. It was guaranteed to attract fish.’’

Wrote Herter in his catalog: “We tried for years to produce sounds which would be attractive to fish and we have finally succeeded. With the cost of fishing trips what they are, why take a chance on spoiling them for a mere $2.47?”

Chug I haven't seen this before and I love old fly tying stuff like this- thanks for posting!

I have the book thought it was going to pave my path to my commercial tying dynasty.... after all it was the only "Manufactures' Guide" funny how it steered me back to Herter's world famous products but in the late 60's and early 70's I spent a good part of my "income" at Herters. Still have some items and a few catalog's. All in all I miss those  6-8 week delivery times(not)... kind of like the usps today....

Yep, ol' George was an expert on just about everything-at least in his mind.  I also have a copy of the Flytying book plus a few of his other books.  He also wrote one entitled "How To Live With A Bitch".  I almost bought a copy to send to a friend of mine who could have used it before his divorce.

Just googled Herters 11R vise as mentioned in the book. Quite a piece of machinery. Looks like it would have weighed 10 pounds or more but was a true rotary and way ahead of its time.

Enjoying everyone's comments...  Nice find, Lesg... Seeing that was different than reading, that's for sure.

Cool stuff.

I dug around a little more in the HathTrust site and found another 1941 fly tying book. A really nice contrast to Herter's... Art of Tying the Wet Fly by Leisenring / Hidy...

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/coo.31924068965494

9 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

I dug around a little more in the HathTrust site and found another 1941 fly tying book. A really nice contrast to Herter's... Art of Tying the Wet Fly by Leisenring / Hidy...

Contrast indeed.  Better known, more concise, and to me at least, far more useful.