Fly Tying
Rusty Shackleford

Caddis and Sparkle Dun Shuck Material?

I am getting ready to tie up some double wing caddis and some sparkle duns this week and I see that most use Z-Lon for the shuck/tail but all I have at the moment is some UV2 sparkle yarn. Can I substitute the sparkle yarn for z-Lon or will it absorb/trap water and sink my flies much faster?  

13 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

I am getting ready to tie up some double wing caddis and some sparkle duns this week and I see that most use Z-Lon for the shuck/tail but all I have at the moment is some UV2 sparkle yarn. Can I substitute the sparkle yarn for z-Lon or will it absorb/trap water and sink my flies much faster?  

Shucks have a color so my answer is "it depends" on the color of the yarn. Of the 12 colors below ONLY ONE is a close match to a shuck.

Use a seine during a hatch and place it at the surface and you will capture the some shucks. Shucks have a translucent light gold/tan color color.

The color you want is at the arrow.

Screen_Shot_2021-03-30_at_9_54.15_AM.png

23 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

Shucks have a color so my answer is "it depends" on the color of the yarn. Of the 12 colors below ONLY ONE is a close match to a shuck.

Use a seine during a hatch and place it at the surface and you will capture the some shucks. Shucks have a translucent light gold/tan color color.

The color you want is at the arrow.

Screen_Shot_2021-03-30_at_9_54.15_AM.png

I have that color and the olive brown just to the right of the black. I plan to make an order for some other materials soon from Galloup's Slide Inn and I will try a couple colors of the Z Yarn as well since it's only about $2 a hank, any specific color suggestions there? I was planning on Tan and Olive Brown. 

7 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

I have that color and the olive brown just to the right of the black. I plan to make an order for some other materials soon from Galloup's Slide Inn and I will try a couple colors of the Z Yarn as well since it's only about $2 a hank, any specific color suggestions there? I was planning on Tan and Olive Brown. 

What I use is for shuck material is actually Aunt Lydias Rug antron yarn in the gold color.

See this blog:

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/blog/spin-a-yarn/

"A decade ago a fistful of Aunt Lydia’s Heavy Rug Yarn, Antron flavor, would last you ten lifetimes. But don’t bother trying to find such skeins now, on auction sites or wherever, because rugs have long since gone to other cheaper fibers. Get it from J. Stockard in a less ridiculous size."

Figure-1-Dear_Departed_Aunt_Lydia-300x15 Figure 1—Dear Departed Aunt Lydia

Here are all my colors of Aunt Lydias Rug yarn I bought many years ago.

35724586265_3d3968fcb8_z.jpg

This is the color I use for shuck material. When untwisted and splayed out it matches trailing shucks.

35593319681_8a7dd71f9c_z.jpg

35555728982_5486ece082_z.jpg