Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xterrabill

Trout Opener 2021

Did any one else make it out?

Here in Illinois the opener for the "put and take" inland trout season was today for some county's, the remaining county's will be Wednesday I believe.

I don't fly fish for them on opening weekend that would be potentially dangerous, there are just too many people around for that, but the bite was hot and heavy on minnows using very small treble hooks under a slip bobber. The limit is 5 , I did managed to get mine in about 2 hours, the trout in Dupage county are of decent size, the largest I caught was about 2 lbs, little Cleo's on an ultra light produced well also.

It was a beautiful cool morning, light breeze, and not a single mask in sight. (I didn't bother with the camera this time, you guys know what bow's look like...I hope LOL)

God Bless and tight lines to all.

peace,

XterraBill

PS

I cant wait till Monday, that's when the fly rod comes out again.

I feel very fortunate, living in Tennessee. We can fish for trout all year with some exceptions of Delayed Harvest which is C&R. Lived in Queens, NY and remember the migration on opening day or the first Saturday after.

I didn't go out. It was to cold in the morning and the wind picked up in the afternoon to about 25 mph with higher gusts.  Not ideal conditions for fly fishing.  In PA the trout season is pretty much open all year except for six weeks before opening day on the stocked trout streams.  I'm fortunate that there is  a wild trout stream within about a 30 minute drive from my house.  It's open to fly fishing and using lures, no bait.  Catch and release only.  The story behind it is in the mid-1980's the state stopped stocking the stream because of PCB contamination from a Super Fund site and the trout already in the stream went about their business and today it has a good population of healthy wild brown trout.  Not and easy place to fish.  The trout are spooky and well educated.  If you're lucky you can catch something like this.

731178145_ValleyCreekBrown_3.thumb.jpg.09319d698e111cc1e59775fe07621d8b.jpg