Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chasing_Tails

Self guiding on the Upper Sacramento in May?

2 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

To the OP, if you want a history-oriented approach to tying flies for wade fishing the Upper Sac (and the McCloud), this will get you a great start:

https://www.billkiene.com/forums/showthread.php?6726-Ted-Fay-Flies

Otherwise it's standard weighted  or beaded nymphs (prince, grhe, pt, natural and black) plus parachutes in grey, olive and yellow for the hatches, plus some partridge & green, orange & hare's ear if you like fishing those. Plus whatever the Ted Fay fly shop says.

Thank you. Looks like most of the standards. I'll give the Ted Fay shop a call and see if they recommend anything specific.

Wayne eng is a guide but also has cabin you can rent , opposite side of river from ted fays . Haven't tried it but , the airbnb spots are nice and near downtown dunsmuir. You'll have a blast, 7wt seems a bit much. Bought my wood staff from  Ted fays long time ago, worth every penny.

11 hours ago, Browndude3649 said:

Wayne eng is a guide but also has cabin you can rent , opposite side of river from ted fays . Haven't tried it but , the airbnb spots are nice and near downtown dunsmuir. You'll have a blast, 7wt seems a bit much. Bought my wood staff from  Ted fays long time ago, worth every penny.

My primary rod is going to be my convertible 4wt, 9'6"-11' rod.

The 7 is in case I end up going back up to the Holy Water and slinging large streamers.

I didn't realize the last time I was there how much quality water was only an hour south of where I will be staying in Medford. Now I only wish I had more than a weekend to explore.