Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

*chuckles* I'm in danger

Not putting down weights, but they aren't necessary.  You will never be asked to do curls or bench presses for physical fitness tests.  You will need to be able to carry a body out of a burning room or to drag it across a muddy field.  You'll need to do push ups, pull ups, sit up/crunches, etc.

Use your own body to exercise.   As you put on muscle weight, you'll also be putting on the strength to carry it.

And get yourself a heavy bag.  Punching exercises every day will build muscle, bone density, speed and the ability to put down an opponent ... which is THE basic skill ALL military men need.  Military training will teach you the best way to USE that strength, but the more of it you have when you get there, the easier it'll be to learn what they teach.

5 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Not putting down weights, but they aren't necessary.  You will never be asked to do curls or bench presses for physical fitness tests.  You will need to be able to carry a body out of a burning room or to drag it across a muddy field.  You'll need to do push ups, pull ups, sit up/crunches, etc.

Use your own body to exercise.   As you put on muscle weight, you'll also be putting on the strength to carry it.

And get yourself a heavy bag.  Punching exercises every day will build muscle, bone density, speed and the ability to put down an opponent ... which is THE basic skill ALL military men need.  Military training will teach you the best way to USE that strength, but the more of it you have when you get there, the easier it'll be to learn what they teach.

I will keep that in mind. Thank you for the advice

8 hours ago, mikechell said:

or to drag it across a muddy field.

Drag him, him. "It's" a person not an it, and "It" might not be dead.

Now, you might say "it" could have been a woman, but it's still proper to use "him" when you mean anybody, male or female.

Sorry, just knit-pickin' you.😁 Carry on.

If I'm dragging a body, alive or dead, it's an "it."  Hell, usually, if I have to deal with a person I don't like, it's an "it", too.  And I definitely don't like dragging a weight across a field.

But ... in the testing phases where you're carrying or dragging ... IT'S usually a bag of sand or a stuffed dummy.  So ... IT.

13 minutes ago, mikechell said:

If I'm dragging a body, alive or dead, it's an "it."  Hell, usually, if I have to deal with a person I don't like, it's an "it", too.  And I definitely don't like dragging a weight across a field.

But ... in the testing phases where you're carrying or dragging ... IT'S usually a bag of sand or a stuffed dummy.  So ... IT.

OK, if you like. To me it's like calling somebodies baby an "it".

Personally, even if I'm dragging a deer, I don't say "it" I say buck, doe or deer. The deer or man is, or was a living being and deserving of more than "it". "It" is for inert objects.

To each his own, but if I ever get shot, I hope nobody says "drag "IT" over there to the mass burial pit with all those others" I prefer "Him" or "That amazing specimen of a man" or "The fishin' magician" or "200 pounds of twisted steel with sex appeal" Thanks in advance.

Once again I may have overstated my position. Sorry.

😄 ... yeah, the

5 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

200 pounds of twisted steel with sex appeal"

Is probably both, and understatement and an overstatement ... in that order.

😉

Oh, and I always call people's babies "it" when they don't know me well enough and show me pictures.

15 hours ago, mikechell said:

😄 ... yeah, the

Is probably both, and understatement and an overstatement ... in that order.

😉

Oh, and I always call people's babies "it" when they don't know me well enough and show me pictures.

It is both....in that order. You know how it is on the internet, you can say what ever you want.

babies are ticking time bombs. Especially on planes

Realistically,  11% applications make it.  All the requirements are tough:  Class ranking, test scores, QPA....Letters, nominations prolly more important than trying to run a mile; small hurdle.  You’re not a high school athlete?   ATHLETICS very important.  A good backup plan would be to try for ROTC scholarships.  Still very competitive but the Academy is a moon shot.  Easier way for same result; to become 2nd lieutenant and free ( maybe just partially free) degree.   Military not for ereybody but great for places where there’s not a lot of opportunities!   Good luck!

Well i ran today and for 1 mile i got 7 minutes and 32 seconds not bad

Not bad, TIER. However, I can't see running unless someone is chasing me.😁 Actually, running triggers my asthma. Leisure walk isn't a problem.

TIER you need to get that 1 1/2 mile time around 9 min, consistently.  Thankfully my PT days are over, now I like to walk (I'm really happiest when I drive 😁), I always hated running. PFT scores can be a big part of the military - balanced with academics and your social character.  Keep your electronic fingerprint clean.

Perhaps you should try running everyday. Maybe a couple times a day. Just a thought. 

Always ... ALWAYS ... train harder than you intend to perform.  If you want to run a faster 1 mile, run ten miles.  When you get to the point you're running ten miles without slowing, then a mile is easy-peasy.

When I was running 3 mile PFTs, I ran an average 15 miles a day.

7 hours ago, mikechell said:

Always ... ALWAYS ... train harder than you intend to perform.  If you want to run a faster 1 mile, run ten miles.  When you get to the point you're running ten miles without slowing, then a mile is easy-peasy.

When I was running 3 mile PFTs, I ran an average 15 miles a day.

I actually ran 3.75 miles nonstop and it actually lowered my time. Now, i like to run 1 mile as fast as possible, then jog back and I shave a good hunk of time off my run that way. I would actually be running a lot more, but i sadly don't have enough time to do that. With my schedule I can do 1 hour tops a day. Now, when summer rolls around I will have more time, but i will still be making as many videos as possible, and studying for AP classes. But, my dad has to do a LOT of work in delta this summer, and Delta is very spread out. The nearest fishing spot is 6 miles away. I don't think my mom or dad will want to take me every day, so I am going to be doing the commute on bike. Biking 12 plus miles and running for 1-2 miles will be a lot of PT.

Another thing to think about is I am 14. I am in the prime of my life, and that's the main reason why I am taking a lot of time off my run.

@Poopdeck I actually try to do that every day, but sometimes you need to take a step back and work another section of the body. Doing it every day is actually pretty bad for your body.