Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Soft Hackle Dry Fly

This is a really interesting dry fly that ive tied quite a few times for a customer of mine named Andrew. Very nice fellow, and this is one of his go to patterns that catches him tons of brown trout. The CDC tuff keeps this on top of the water, and im guessing it looks like a struggling spider. However I don't know exactly. It seems to work wonders for him. I did not come up with this pattern, I believe its one commonly used in Europe somewhere. However I had no problem tying it for him when he asked me to. He goes out to Ireland and fishes there regularly, and would stock his box up at a fly shop out there. However since Covid, he has not had a chance to go visit in a while. So I provide him with the flies he has confidence in. Very interesting pattern, one I will have to give a go with next time im out trout fishing. He fishes up in Connecticut and the surrounding area up there.

20 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Yeah seems like a soft hackle fly for sure.  Not sure how that stays dry though, no hackle or CDC.  I guess the soft hackle itself will keep it on top of the water when using floatant? 

On 4/10/2021 at 11:13 AM, SilverCreek said:

Gary uses a bit of floatant.

I do too, on my Clouser Deep Water Minnows.  Never seems to work though! :) 

Kim