Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Zippered boots

Anyone know of zippered wading boots.   My felt ones are not allowed in AK.   Pot gut is lots easier on /off.   I think they are Hodgmans.  Don’t think they makem anymore....
Alternative maybe????

FC3DBB7E-C61E-491B-ABC3-430D394AE5FD.png

AF86C3B1-266B-49C6-8AFB-50AF426D5E6A.png

Found some but they have the felt sole, www.waderfactory.com. The sole in the photo would be slicker than snot on a door knob. I would just search for the major brands of wading boots. Good luck.

denduke, I have a pair of Orvis zippered wading boots.  They're probably about 5 years old.  They have rubber soles with cleats.  You might check out the Orvis site.  They weren't cheap, cost me, I think, $150 when I brought them.

I can screw studs into the sole if need be.   Not lotta algae/moss in Ak I would think. One guide said they supplied boots.....$...? Question is all you need is rubber cleated boots?  
I have a pair of leather uppers/rubber slippon hunting boots I had a guy sew zippers in.  Been years ago.  Not sure I can find a cobbler anymore.   I used elcheapo Wally World work boots before.  Cut few drain holes. Glued paper machine felts on them for felt and on some duck boots too.   Always add a few studs when possible.   Got neoprene duck waders but kinda bulky luddag...tryin to make all our stocking foots work....

Felts bout out everywhere nowadays....didymo 

I have something like this:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/world-wide-sportsman-flats-boots-for-men

but mine are an older model and have a better, stiffer sole if I have to judge by the picture.

A number of brands have variations on these. Generally look for “flats wading” boots. No cleats or felt on these though...

I use the Korker boots with the BOA lace system turn the dial to tighten very good system for my pot gut. They have interchangeable soles, rubber, rubber with cleats, felt, and others. vicrider just posted a pair on the market page not sure of your size but I would go at least 1 size larger than shoe. Bass Pro and other retailers have them also.

Guy says hip boots work a lot too.  Got a few pairs of those.   Was a suggestion of hi top tennis shoes over stocking feet with gravel guard work for some. Zipper, youse guys!  More cobblers around than I thought

056FAEEB-C329-4FD5-B080-D72FB7EAC49D.png

I don't know where you are going, but I can't imagine you would be happy with flats boots for river wading.

I had the Orvis zippered boots, they were great but I think they are discontinued.

I now have Korkers with the boa. They are very easy to put on and take off. Simms also has boots with the boa system.

1 hour ago, skeet3t said:

Flats boots would work but how would they go over stocking foot waders?

Never used mine with waders, they are my true size, but I guess that if the boot is big enough you can make it work.

When I used stocking foot waders during winters many years ago I had oversized Hodgman felt sole boots to go with them.

19 hours ago, denduke said:

Anyone know of zippered wading boots.   My felt ones are not allowed in AK.   Pot gut is lots easier on /off.   I think they are Hodgmans.  Don’t think they makem anymore....
Alternative maybe????

FC3DBB7E-C61E-491B-ABC3-430D394AE5FD.png

I tried a set of those zippers when I wore lace up boots.  Problem, for me, was that my laces pulled the opening closer than the zipper allowed.  So, with the zipper laced in, the boots were a little too loose.  After the first blister, I took them out.

You can get flats or similar boots to go over stocking foot waders. I use them with fins for my float tube. You will need to get them in a larger size. However they are anything but easy to get on. They are made to fit snugly and neoprene against stretchy neoprene can make it a struggle.

I keep a pair of Shimano flats boots on my skiff (nothing like running aground and having to get out and push in places that aren't exactly "foot friendly"..). They're zippered, have a pretty tough sole with lugs for traction and I'm just guessing here... but imagine a size or two larger would work well for stocking foot waders... 

They're not very expensive and since I'm not a freshwater angler at all (except when way up inside the freshwater headlands that drain down into brackish or saltwater portions of the Everglades... ) you'll want to check out their possible use with guides or shops that actually are in the water day after day... 

Good luck and post up what you choose... 

On 4/9/2021 at 9:04 PM, skeet3t said:

Flats boots would work but how would they go over stocking foot waders?

I did this for winter time kayak fishing where I know I won't be in the water more than ankle depth launching and landing and don't need full waders but want to keep my feet dry. I cut the neoprene feet off of an old pair of waders and got a pair of flats boots to go over them. I normally wear a size 11 but required a size 13 to fit the neoprene.

Just now, Chasing_Tails said:

I did this for winter time kayak fishing where I know I won't be in the water more than ankle depth launching and landing and don't need full waders but want to keep my feet dry. I cut the neoprene feet off of an old pair of waders and got a pair of flats boots to go over them. I normally wear a size 11 but required a size 13 to fit the neoprene.

Improvise is the word. Great idea. I cut the boots off old waders for wading in the summer. Love to wade wet! No need to get out of the water and find a big tree. Believe it or not, I have a friend who waded wet clear into November!