Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe A

Tinsel Ribbing Durability

Guys...I used Vevus holographic tinsel ribbing on this fly.. good news the fish flat out crushed it, bad news is the tinsel  broke after the 10th fish .

Any way to make this more durable... or a suggestion to equally sparkly ribbing that is more durable? 

i used this same tinsel on a Royal renegade and it lookes like it’s getting chewed. BEF870BD-6452-4945-8618-2997859D5660.thumb.jpeg.5192fe7bec02bd88c702cf058a785893.jpeg

was thinking perhaps of using gold crystal flash 

5CFD7083-04B3-457E-B582-ACD248902B80.jpeg

Any way to make this more durable... or a suggestion to equally sparkly ribbing that is more durable? 

try using silver or gold wire instead of flat tinsel or use oval tinsel with tight wraps

counter wrap over the tinsel with wire

was thinking perhaps of using gold crystal flash 

krystal flash is still tinsel so it might break as well

it could also be the way you're gripping the fly to remove it from the fishes mouth

the ribbing looks fine in that fishes mouth

Thank you! I just found some French oval ribbing in my kit... 

It is size small ... for a size 8 streamer what size is reccomended? Medium ? Or large?

flytire is correct, the best way to reinforce any Mylar tinsel is with wire. I use fine wire to reinforce mylar body streamers and counter wrap mylar ribs. if the fish abrades thru it  the wire holds the rest in place, may event add a little more action to the fly.