Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Blanco River and Guadalupe State Park

The Blanco and Guadalupe River are two rivers that are close to San Antonio where I live. I had not fished the Blanco River State Park before so I decided to head up there and give it a try. Right off the bat I caught a decent little bass, but things ended up slowing down a bit after that. I did get a nice sunfish there as well. Then, I decided to head down to the Guadalupe River State Park and try it there. I had fished there before, but more down at the rapids area. I decided to go up stream, however being a weekend it was super busy. Too many people in the water swimming and splashing around. Made for a difficult time fishing. I got a few sunfish but, nothing big. And between the two state parks, I headed to the Guadalupe river at a location I am not going to disclose, but its a good place to kayak. Unfortunately it was too deep in most spots to wade. However, from the bank I got a decent little bass. I was happy to fish even though it wasn't super productive. I did see how my new flies Ive been working on produce. They worked well, and with a few more tweaks I think I can have a great couple of patterns for fishing bass in and around South Texas.

Is the first fish possibly a spotted bass.  Can’t tell if the eye is red or had a rough tongue.   Mouth looks largemouth but lil stripes on belly look like a spot.  Begs the guestion are there Guadalupe Bass in those waters?  I think they are a subspecies of the spots who like current.

E6B93436-9183-4E8C-89EF-28B933196FD6.png

I was told by many of my followers on YouTube that it was a guad.  I do believe the guads are there.   There was a small rough patch on the tounge so I think it was a guad.  I head though that the Guadalupe bass will breed with smallmouth so, many times you will find hybrids.