Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

A request. Unusable hooks

I'm making damascus for a really cool fly tying vise. I have made the stand-up bar out of fish hooks and would like to make more components of the vice with fish hook damascus. If any body has hooks they could donate to the cause, I would appreciate it. Also, I have lots of materials I could trade for hooks you cant use. They can be rusty, bent, spent flies whatever you have. Please PM me for my address and give me a list of materials you need. Thanks Mark

PS, I'll sand the post to show you what the damascus looks like.

13 minutes ago, Noahguide said:

Is this the mysterious vice of years gone by finally coming to fruition?

Yes, it's a work in progress. It was put on the back burner for two years while I took care of my brother who passed away, then, Covid made it necessary to keep it on the back burner while I kept bills paid and social distanced in the fish house. I got a million more excuses if you need more. Now I feel like I can get back to it. Something like this is a pretty big drain on resources and time. Wouldn't want to have to skip a fishing trip to work on a vice. Still no finish date projected but I will start posting pictures of it.

Are you looking for itty bitty fly fishing hooks or any hook. I have some large (5/0 - 8/0) offset circle hooks that have been outlawed in my parts as well as some bass and baitholder hooks I don't use anymore. 

19 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Are you looking for itty bitty fly fishing hooks or any hook. I have some large (5/0 - 8/0) offset circle hooks that have been outlawed in my parts as well as some bass and baitholder hooks I don't use anymore. 

Any hook will do, I would appreciate anything.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Yes, it's a work in progress. It was put on the back burner for two years while I took care of my brother who passed away, then, Covid made it necessary to keep it on the back burner while I kept bills paid and social distanced in the fish house. I got a million more excuses if you need more. Now I feel like I can get back to it. Something like this is a pretty big drain on resources and time. Wouldn't want to have to skip a fishing trip to work on a vice. Still no finish date projected but I will start posting pictures of it.

My condolences Mark on your loss

Pm me your address.  I will send some hooks.  I don't need anything in return.   My condolences for your loss.

I very sorry to hear about your brother Mark.  I wish I had more old hooks to send.  I don't have the hoarding gene so any unusable hooks get thrown out.  I have been finding a lot of snagged spinners and spoons as I do every spring.  I always remove them from the water.  It good for the ecology and I won't tear my waders on them.  The usable ones I give to my son in law but a lot of them are inexpensive and rust quick.  I will send them to you and I will save you any of my casualties from the spring season.  

Mark, if you are in need of hooks of any kind I have piles of hooks from days past I'll never find a use for anymore. PM your addy and I'll send 'em out.

Nick

12 hours ago, vicrider said:

Mark, if you are in need of hooks of any kind I have piles of hooks from days past I'll never find a use for anymore. PM your addy and I'll send 'em out.

Nick

Thanks Nick. Sending now.

I need as much as I can get, the hooks all get compressed into a block of steel so it takes a lot to make a piece of steel. Variety is good. I'll have to sort out the galvanized and stainless hooks because they don't weld well. I could sand blast the galvanized hooks. I'll put the rusty ones in a tumbler to remove the rust.

Thanks everybody.