Fly Tying
Jacks Grampa

Mouton sheep for dubbing?

According to my search, saying "Mouton Sheep" is actually redundant, as "Mouton" is French for "sheep".  So, Mouton sheep = sheep sheep.

I've never tried tying with wool.  All I know is, the wool clothing I've been forced to wear was ... uncomfortable.  It held onto water like a sponge and got heavy with it when wet.  I don't know how it would be in the water, on a fly.  I'm betting that casting any fly made with wool would be like casting a fly 3 times as large in any other material.

Anything like sheep fleece/ram's wool?  I tie a few patterns with it, most popular is the Siliclone Mullet..  Great for building bulk without mass. It sheds water pretty well on the backcast but it can get heavy to pick up when saturated.

5 hours ago, mikechell said:

According to my search, saying "Mouton Sheep" is actually redundant, as "Mouton" is French for "sheep".  So, Mouton sheep = sheep sheep.

I've never tried tying with wool.  All I know is, the wool clothing I've been forced to wear was ... uncomfortable.  It held onto water like a sponge and got heavy with it when wet.  I don't know how it would be in the water, on a fly.  I'm betting that casting any fly made with wool would be like casting a fly 3 times as large in any other material.

And yet it is one of the very first tying materials ever used!

Kim

15 hours ago, mikechell said:

I lived near sheep herding country a while back. The locals there seemed to call adult sheep mutton as it was more tough than the lamb.  At least for eating that is.  I have no idea about the fur though.  

On 4/26/2021 at 4:26 PM, RickZieger said:

I have seen a few folks using it for sculpin heads.

Yeah, it's pretty commonly used for that.

On 4/25/2021 at 10:48 PM, WWKimba said:

And yet it is one of the very first tying materials ever used!

Kim

Hmmm.  I am so glad new things come along and I don't have to use the "first" of anything.  😁

On 4/26/2021 at 8:54 AM, McFlyLures said:

I lived near sheep herding country a while back. The locals there seemed to call adult sheep mutton as it was more tough than the lamb.  At least for eating that is.  I have no idea about the fur though.  

"Mouton" is French for sheep.

"Porc" is French for pig.

"Boeuf" is French for cow.

"Venison" is French for deer.

After the conquest, the French speaking Normans got to eat meat; the Anglo-Saxons got to tend the animals.  Our language reflects that social order, even if "mutton", "pork", and" beef" got Anglicized.