Fly Tying
Greg Vincent

Help with Dynaking barracuda

New to the forum. 

I have attached an image of my Dynaking barracuda vice. As you can see in the image the main barrel of the vice has somehow slipped more and more to the left somehow. i really have no idea how, i assume it was doing this slowly over many years. it is suppose to be extended to the right of the barrel housing so that the handle for turning is close to or up against the barrel. Has anyone experienced this before and if so . so for now i want to try and see if i can find a way to fix myself. any help would be much apreciated. I cannot seem to budget it at all. 

20210428_105532_resized (002).jpg

What happens if you push it back to the right?

does the black bushing/o-ring by the rotating handle push back into the barrel?

what does the other end of the barrel look like? They might/ should be the same on both ends

loosen the knob on the barrel to see if it budges

Dyna King has a fb page. You might want to post this there for some advice. I have an old barracuda 21 yrs and 

have not experienced what is pictured above.

4 hours ago, flytire said:

What happens if you push it back to the right?

does the black bushing/o-ring by the rotating handle push back into the barrel?

what does the other end of the barrel look like? They might/ should be the same on both ends

loosen the knob on the barrel to see if it budges

Thanks for the help. I have tried, it just wont budge. 

16 minutes ago, Moshup said:

Dyna King has a fb page. You might want to post this there for some advice. I have an old barracuda 21 yrs and 

have not experienced what is pictured above.

Thank you. I will post this there.

I don't have a Dyna King, but I would assume there's a loose set screw somewhere on the bearing housing.  

Mine doesn't do that. My suspicion is, that one or both of your bearings are jammed and when you turn the head it turns inside the race of the bearing instead of the balls. I would think will need to be taken apart cleaned and the bearings replaced.

Short term, I suspect if you oil the shaft, and apply force to the handle end while you turn the head, it may "Get Back to Where it (you) Once Belonged, Jo" (The Beatles)

21 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Mine doesn't do that. My suspicion is, that one or both of your bearings are jammed and when you turn the head it turns inside the race of the bearing instead of the balls. I would think will need to be taken apart cleaned and the bearings replaced.

Short term, I suspect if you oil the shaft, and apply force to the handle end while you turn the head, it may "Get Back to Where it (you) Once Belonged, Jo" (The Beatles)

Thnanks Mark

24 minutes ago, Greg Vincent said:

Thnanks Mark

No Problem. You can also try propping up the hub body (with the bearings inside) on the edge of a wooden work bench and tapping on the handle hub with a soft-blow hammer. Easy does it.

Before I'd start hammering on it I would contact Dyna-King to get their advice-maybe even send the head in to have them look at it.

I would oil her up and hammer away as Mark said without a single concern. If the shaft still readily spins and the shaft moved that far simply by turning the shaft, I would be confident it will move back with just a little force and no chance of damage or marring. Wouldn't be the first time I said oops if I were wrong though. 

“Oops”. The one word no one wants to hear in the operating room !😳

I think it easy to over-think these things. Like Poop, I'm not afraid of an oops once in a while. Then again, a little finesse goes a long way. Just go easy. I could have several dozen or a hundred flies tied before that thing came back from "the guy".

before you go caveman and start hammering or greasing it up, send dyna king and email with the picture and an explanation of the problem and let them help you out for a better solution

[email protected]

It's not a bioprosthhetic heart valve, it's a rod pressed into bearings.  I would never look at something like that and think, "I have to send an email right away." I think the fix is easier then sending an email and only a complete idiot would damage the vise by tapping it with a soft blow hammer. It is apparent that the vise is already damaged so perhaps an email is appropriate to fix the under lying cause but I would still hit it with a hammer. Wear your safety glasses.