Fly Tying
Coin

Vise advice

The vise in that auction looks like a 'customized Heinz 57' vise, although I could be wrong as DH Thompson did have a good number of different style vises.  Here more info than most probably want to know:

Early D. H. Thompson Fly Tying Vise collection

DH Thompson and Herter - the companies and their vises, by Dennis Stead. 

@Coin - so did you take the plunge yet? 

7 minutes ago, niveker said:

The vise in that auction looks like a 'customized Heinz 57' vise, although I could be wrong as DH Thompson did have a good number of different style vises.  Here more info than most probably want to know:

Here is a photo of the vise lever with "Thompson" on it.

840577521_ScreenShot2021-07-15at8_24_30AM.png.2ec080cf5709a248ce8eb71e9a455b9e.png

22 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Here is a photo of the vise lever with "Thompson" on it.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but IMO the lever is the only Thompson thing about that vise. 

On 7/15/2021 at 6:17 AM, niveker said:

I have not taken the plunge. Once again I am having a hard time telling myself that this is something I should do. I live in Tucson Arizona and there isn't a whole lot of places to go with out driving for a hour or more other than a city park pond.

On 7/16/2021 at 6:55 AM, niveker said:

Like I said, I could be wrong, but IMO the lever is the only Thompson thing about that vise. 

I think you are probably right.

I looked at the video of all the Thompson collection and didn't see one that looked like that vise. Thanks to Niveker for posting that video.

14 hours ago, Coin said:

I have not taken the plunge. Once again I am having a hard time telling myself that this is something I should do. I live in Tucson Arizona and there isn't a whole lot of places to go with out driving for a hour or more other than a city park pond.

I just talked myself into a vise. They had a Byron vise that sells on Amazon for 129.00. The one I bought was for 70.00 on Ebay. Looks nice anyway, I guess I will know more in a week. 

I have the vise you want! It works. However, I'm 74 and very Arthritic, so I went to the Peak. I just couldn't use the vise because of the pain

caused by operating the vise over and over! I'm sure you don't have that problem! It will do a good job for you! Sometime in the future when

you budget changes you may want to upgrade, then I suggest the Peak. It will last forever or a very long time, which ever comes first! The main thing, just relax and enjoy!

If I can help let me know! Many tight lines!