Fly Tying
Baron

Hackle styles

From a Redsox Fan? Can I trust this information, lol? Thanks so much this will be my education night. 

Thanks, Baron (from the greater Philly Area)

Baron,

I don't normally use a lot of feathers since they do not hold up long with toothy saltwater critters but do tie some traditional patterns that call for them.  Lefty's Deceiver for example. 

However, going back to one of your earlier posts, I do use what is considered dry fly hackle in some streamer patterns. Namely, Flat-wings. These flies can be devastating when you need to be subtle. Flat-wings look so alive I have had terns try to pick them up. The patterns generally call for long, flexible hackle feathers tied flat on top of the hook, as opposed to vertical sandwiching the hook.

If you give this style a try, don't waste your money on high-quality hackle.  The lower grade capes are better for flat-wings and a lot cheaper.  Save the high-quality for the trout bums.  They'll appreciate it.

I've never tried it but I'll bet pickerel would love them. Largemouth and smallies too.  You can trust this Mets fan. 

FBN, I spent many many nights anchored at Tice's Shoal across Oyster Creek from you. Wish I were still doing that. Are you tying for Fluke, Blues and Striper?  Pickerel grow pretty big in your state...and Gills. I don't fish for Bass on purpose but enjoy a hookup here and there. 

Flytire ties allot of those traditional or classic flies and it is inspiring. So inspiring that I recently tied a Black Ghost and had some pickerel action. I'll look up flat wings. Thanks for the info. 

I hope we can see the stands fill up this year. 

Baron,

Mostly I hunt stripers on the bay flats and in the surf (Island Beach State Park and LBI). That's what the flat-wings are for.  They are excellent in the inlet and tidal creeks. J. Kenny Abrahmes, I believe, came up with the idea for them, or at least that is the first reference I ever found.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I was going to post a link to the Amazon listing for his book, "A Perfect Fish: Illusions in Fly Tying",  but it is north of $150.  I bought mine for $30 at a fly show in 2010.

I also love catching bluefish.  They make a mess of things but are a lot of fun. They don't eat worth a damn either, unless you smoke them.

I'd love to see weakfish come back in numbers. A size 1 clouser in chartreuse with 3/16 dumbbell eyes is the ticket.

Fluke I catch by accident and never landed a keeper.

BTW, the Barnegat Bay and local waters are very good fly fishing areas. Not as good as they used to be with all the yahoos putting pressure on the fish, but still good if you know where to go.

Tice's is still there...

I love it at Tice's. Its been 25 yrs. We had a 25' BlowBoat and would anchor for the night at Tice's or, before they fixed it all up you could go out the creek and make a left at Barnegat light in behind the dunes in a hole full of croakers. You would hear them come and go all night. I'd love to see the puffer and the Weakeis make a return. We also liked anchoring out around the old Fish Factory but it was buggier. 

Flytier I had a great time watching these videos and I really helped put feathers in perspective. Thanks for taking the time to post.

On 5/3/2021 at 7:48 PM, FliesbyNight said:

I'd like to see some of your Flatwings as they're of great interest to me. Its funny you should mention them as I just learned about them a week or two ago in one of tightlinevideos.

Baron,

I don't normally use a lot of feathers since they do not hold up long with toothy saltwater critters but do tie some traditional patterns that call for them.  Lefty's Deceiver for example. 

However, going back to one of your earlier posts, I do use what is considered dry fly hackle in some streamer patterns. Namely, Flat-wings. These flies can be devastating when you need to be subtle. Flat-wings look so alive I have had terns try to pick them up. The patterns generally call for long, flexible hackle feathers tied flat on top of the hook, as opposed to vertical sandwiching the hook.

If you give this style a try, don't waste your money on high-quality hackle.  The lower grade capes are better for flat-wings and a lot cheaper.  Save the high-quality for the trout bums.  They'll appreciate it.

I've never tried it but I'll bet pickerel would love them. Largemouth and smallies too.  You can trust this Mets fan. 

3 hours ago, Baron said:

Flytier I had a great time watching these videos and I really helped put feathers in perspective. Thanks for taking the time to post.

not bad info from a red sox fan

You’re right about that. I’ve been learning so much. Long way to go. Having a blast. Thanks for the coaching. Thanks