Fly Tying

I suppose we've all heard the term "Writer's Block" I believe I'm going through the same thing only it is "Tyer's Block". I sit and look through books for some inspiration to find a pattern to tie. I'll see one I've never done and think hmmm, that'll work. Then I look at something I've done in the past, even several times and think perhaps I'll do this and try to make it my best ever compared to previous efforts. End result is I get stuck between the ears and then nothing gets done.

I'm willing to bet this is not unique to me. How many of you out there have been through this crazy period?

Cheers,
George

PS - Any pattern suggestions that might be within my limited abilities?

I guess I'm a lucky one.  I tie for my fishing, so I don't "need" to tie.  Can't get tier's block if you don't have a tying addiction or a product deadline.

I've got a lot of hobbies.  I'm not "dedicated" to any one hobby, so feel no "push" to do any of them.  They're all just for fun.  If I don't have a need for flies, I don't have a need to tie.

Perhaps I put this out there wrong.

Tying for me is great fun, not something I feel pushed to do, totally dedicated to or any such thing. If I plan to head to north central Pennsylvania in late May, I'll happily sit and tie Green Drake patterns, Sulphur patterns, March Browns, Gray Foxes, etc. in the usual phases of development as in nymphs, emergers, duns and spinners.

What I am talking about here is inspiration to begin another 4 to 6 hour or more project called a Classic Atlantic Salmon Fly.

I love to tie flies, and if I were to tie 4 dozen a day for the next 25 years I'd still have plenty of materials to work with for a long time. I'm just in one of those moments when the brain is stuck in neutral while trying to decide what to do next.

Sounds to me like it's time to go fishing. That always helps me, not for tiers block, but as a general cure all. It's  worth a shot. 

Sounds great P-Deck...but due to lingering back and leg issues since surgery I haven't fished since 2019. I hope that will change very, very soon!!! Tying flies keeps me in contact with the sport and even though that makes me an "armchair" fisherman I can live with that for the time being.

George,

After all the advice and knowledge you gave me I sure would like to be able to return some. I don't know if I can, bit I'll try.  Some times when I have tiers block I'll pick up a book of patterns and rather than select anything specific I sort of let my mind wander, picking one from column A, one from column B and so on.  That sort of gets the gears turning. I might not end up with anything specific, but rather a "frankenfly" kind of thing, I particularly try to look for not just different combination ideas but  technique that I'd like to learn or improve on.  

22 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Sounds great P-Deck...but due to lingering back and leg issues since surgery I haven't fished since 2019. I hope that will change very, very soon!!! Tying flies keeps me in contact with the sport and even though that makes me an "armchair" fisherman I can live with that for the time being.

I had back surgery in 1990 and my left leg hasn't worked right since. Best decision I ever made. I can't feel my left foot and my calf stopped working. Every now and again my back goes out but I learned to deal with it without pain pills. After 30 years my left calf has withered away to about half the size of the right calf inch gave me a great hobble. I still get out and wade fish but, believe it or not, taking a pair of waders off without a working calf muscle is impossible without a bootjack. Anymore I try staying in the boat as much as possible.

I found getting up and moving about was the best thing for my recovery. I wish you well and good luck to you.

I always tie more of what I call my core nymphs, the ones I use every trip, or my "go to" flies.

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

I had back surgery in 1990 and my left leg hasn't worked right since. Best decision I ever made. I can't feel my left foot and my calf stopped working. Every now and again my back goes out but I learned to deal with it without pain pills. After 30 years my left calf has withered away to about half the size of the right calf inch gave me a great hobble. I still get out and wade fish but, believe it or not, taking a pair of waders off without a working calf muscle is impossible without a bootjack. Anymore I try staying in the boat as much as possible.

I found getting up and moving about was the best thing for my recovery. I wish you well and good luck to you.

Interesting. I had laminectomy surgery to relieve what is called a spinal stenosis in December 2018. The surgery took care of the problem totally. However...the spring of 2019 another underlying issue began to bother me. This is called bilateral drop foot. It makes walking without braces from midcalf to my toes very difficult. The braces on the other hand mean I can drive and get around pretty well. As the strength in my legs SLOWLY returns I know I will get back onto the stream chasing rising fish again before too long. I am just a little frustrated that things turned out the way they did after successful surgery and my progress for the current problem is so slow. As soon as I get rid of the 2 canes...LOOK OUT!!!😎 I know my wife will be glad to be rid of me for those days back on my favorites creeks.

my friend and I found a very good solution to this problem. we just shoot each other a message like "hey, what should I make now?"  so far it's worked very well.

another method I have in progress is tying the one fly-tying book I have from start to end, it's about 130 pages with several flies on each so it'll be a while until I run out.

For about 15 years in my younger days, I tied custom orders about 5000 every year.  No time for tiers block,  over the last 28 years, I have tied only for my self, and a small group of friends.  We all knew what we wanted and I tied them.  When I moved to Florida, I had to build up a supply of Saltwater patterns.  I stopped myself after 2000.  Now I do have physical problems from arthritis when tying, my right hand is not cooperating.  If I can do a pinch loop, the fingers will sometimes lock up. Always painful, so I simply tie with easiest flies I can.  After 3 to 6 files I have to stop.  

Symphony Yard.JPG

Walts Worm.JPG