Fly Tying

.......landed on my screen door a few years ago. So I snagged it and walked it down to my light tent in the basement

up-_PIC8679_Callibaetis.jpg

Outstanding photo with great detail! Could you share the details of lens type, settings, etc.? Attached is a photo of my setup. Clamp lights are from Harbor Freight, curly Q bulbs, light material for diffusing the light; tried some stick bulbs but they were way too bright even with the material. Background is tan with brown and grey available for what would be needed.

IMG_6520.JPG

Great pic!  "Ewww" to quote my granddaughters. Exactly the reaction I'm hoping for when I show them one of my flys.   Tells me I got the imitation correct. 🙂

On 5/4/2021 at 6:29 PM, salmobytes said:

.......landed on my screen door a few years ago. So I snagged it and walked it down to my light tent in the basement

up-_PIC8679_Callibaetis.jpg

Nice bug, do you have an un-cropped version? I'd love to see it with the leg and wing tips. What a neat bug.

that is uncropped.  105mm macro lens with 6" inches of extension tubes.  Old photo.  I have since learned how to do focus stacking.  Hope to get some new bugs this year.  For focus stacking you have to use vapors to knock them out without killing them, so they don't move.  

Put bug on white plexy glass with slave flash underneath, shining up at maybe 1/64th power.  Two umbrella strobes synched to camera.  

Stacking with Cognysis focusing rail,  tethering software, USB cables and ZereneStacker software   Perseverance selected cuss words and obsessive stubbornness.

For tethering Nikon or Canon Entangle  HeliconRemote or Qdslrdashboard.  For Sony (what I've switched to) Sony has  free tethering software.  Sony cameras are amazing.  Mirrorless is best for fancy focusing because it can show you with red highlights what is and is not in focus.

For focus stacking Helicon focus or ZereneStacker. I like Zerene best.

For image editing I shoot raw. Edit in Darktable and  then Gimp.  The Gimp Gmic plugin is hot stuff.  

Photoshop/Lightroom is good, perhaps even best--but it is expensive.   Darktable and Gimp are free.  Darktable is complex and hard to learn.  But mucho powerful.

That's all Latin to me, just like the bugs name. I'll leave all that fancy stuff to you guys. If I try to put some of that stuff in my brain, I'm sure something else will fall out the other side. I'm glad you like it though, that way we get to see cool pictures.

I was wondering how you walked it down to your light tent. Did it follow you or was it on a leash? Couldn't resist that!!!☺️ Thanks for the specifics on the photo.

Roberts yellow drake, I did well with these last year. This year has been a bit of conundrum, the water levels were very low but the wading was great! But alas we had some big rains, and the never ending wind and cold temps= no bugs. I was frozen Tuesday, hopefully it warm up a bit and water levels will drop some.

mike.

364AD598-B801-4395-B897-DF049136D522.jpeg