Hook - Mustad R74-9672, size 8

Weight - .020 non lead wire

Thread - Black

Tail - Moose body hairs

Abdomen - Black chenille

Wing case - 2 strands of black chenille

Legs - Black saddle hackle

Thorax - Orange chenille

Hope you guys like pepperoni!  That's what I'll tie for my pattern for this swap.  Besides, I always found it helped with the munchies!!:)

Kim

I'm still struggling with a pattern I really like. I think I have it down now after many false starts. We'll see how it goes if you get the fancy version of the quick versions. 

Well, I finally completed a dozen+ of the fancy version. I don't know if it was worth it or not. This was the most labor intensive swap I've done with possible exception of Hog Snare and at least that was a big, easy to work on fly. This fly basically took 3 steps. First I had to run two rows of lead on back of hook to add weight and assist in landing hook up. After these were all tied with lead and cement and set aside it was time to tie the rear section. This meant taking a bunch of light wire Aberdeen hooks and cutting at the bend. Then in the vise and tie in the two rubber wrap tails. Then tie in variegated chenille and wind a few turns, tie off, tie in four medium weight centipede legs, then finish chenille to eye and tie off. Then take out of vise and cut off the extended hook shank and watch one of your rubber tails fall down with the hook piece.

After you have a dozen+ of these set aside it time to go back to the original jig hook and bead you wrapped with the lead. Putting this in vise you take a tail section, put a loop of wire in the eye, and tie that to the top of the jig hook. Tie in Deveuxe thread for the gills. One wrap of chenille, then two threads on each side, another wrap of chenille, another two threads on each side, another wrap of chenille and tie in two shorter centipede legs on each side, wrap and half and tie off behind bead. Then tying in a longer and shorter over flap of scud back to represent the wing sack and tie it off. Then try to trim all those appendages without cutting the wrong ones off. I really don't know if it'll pay off on the stream but it should give a buggy and floppy look to it and work deep without extra weight. 

DSCF6293 (2).JPG

DSCF6295 (2).JPG

In 1935 Preston Jennings wrote the premier book on Trout fly entomology "A book of Trout Flies". This my version of his Stonefly Creeper. Color did not come out right in photo, body is Golden Stonefly dubbing, wing is Wood Duck Flank.

DSCN0373.JPG