Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hexfli

Hooks...

I've used as many different kinds of fly tying hooks as I can. All have thier pluses and minuses. I really like Dai-Riki hooks they are very good quality and are reasonably priced. But one of thier hooks (#135) that I tie alot of salmon and steelhead flies seems to break right at the bend of the hook. Mustads are like rocks but at a dull as a door knobs, and Tiemco's I would need to sell my first born to stock as many hooks as I have on my bench. Just curious as to what you use and what issues you have had with particular hooks.

I mostly use Tiemco, but Tiemco can get spendy when you're stocking up. I've also been very happy with all of the Daiichi hooks I've used. Strong and very sharp. I am curious to try Targus, as I hear good things about them, and at an attractive price.

I was fishing with a buddy this weekend and he told me Targus were made by Tiemco. And if you look at the model numbers they are the same. I wonder what is the real difference between them? dunno.gif

I tie on daiichi hooks by prefrence. IMHO they are the best. Tiemce , diriki and mustad siginature are good too. The regular mustad hooks(3906,9484,3906b...etc) are crap. They have no backbone, the weight of the bobbin hanging causes them to bend, crushing the barb causes the hook point to break off. Creek chubs have straigtened them when fishing. When tying bass bugs on the stinger hooks, ive bent them like a pretsel. Maby the quality has improved since ive stoped buying these pieces of shit.gif , but i doubt it.

I used to tie with Tiemco's but got tired of taking out a second mortage every time I wanted to stock up. I switched to standard Mustads in the 100 packs. I haven't had a problem with quality and I've been tying with them exclusively for over a year.

Calvin

With the exception of couple of specialty hooks everything I tie on is Daichii. The durability and sharpness are second to none.

I have always tied on mustads mabey because I don't like change. If you are looking to get hooks for inexpensive try Cabelas, Basspro, or some janeraic brand they are usually contracted under someone. I.E. Basspro is Mustad Or Egal Claw depending on the truck.

Regular Mustads I wouldn't touch again. I love Partridge but the place I use to get them went out of business. I do like Cabela's hooks.

not to hijack, but does anyone know who make Orvis hooks? they came w/my kit, seem to be good hooks (at least sharp enough to cut my thread), just wonder how they stack-up against some of the other brands already mentiond. If you can't tell, I obviously know nothing about the subject.

I have spoken at length with a Japanese rep who works for one of the larger hook name brands. He stated that all of the hooks with Japanese labels are subcontracted in a small area of southern Japan to a cottage industry type group of small family owned shops. None of the labels actually make their own hooks for fly tying, Tiemco, Daiichi, Dairiki, Verivas etc. One small family owned shop will make dry fly hooks in size 12-16,,,the next door family makes only sizes 18-28 etc. Naturally Tiemco will have a certain shape or curve with their numbers and Verivas will have their own shape and design tooling, etc.

I belive this is the reason for various complaints of hook brittleness or softness from all of the name brands. Small cottage shops usually do not have the resources for computer controlled furnaces for heat treatement and will have quality variations from time to time.

The large Japanese commercial fishing hooks and bass hooks have much larger volume and most likely are made in moder factories.

Regards,

Fred Krow

according to a distributor i talked to years ago, targus hooks are made on the same dies as tiemco. there was a lawsuit put in place against them, but since tiemco didn't patent their designs, they were SOL from what i heard. this is all secondhand from the guy, but he seemed to know what he is talking about. the color of targus hooks is a bit different than any other brand out there, so they either have a different finish or alloy altogether.

i really like them, but have trouble finding them. when i ordered them for the shop after the first two initial orders arrived, they were so backlogged with orders they didnt know when they were going to be able to supply us with more. very good hooks for the money.

that being said, i tie on a lot of standard mustads without too much problem other than the standard salmon hooks aren't as sturdy as i think they should be. the signuature series i also tie a lot on, and enjoy those. i also have daiichis, some tiemcos, and some kamasun (sp?). some companies just have designs that others don't.

mustad sig. i like their scud hooks. kamasuns i like their shrimp bend hooks for crawfish. daiichis i like their nymph hooks, and the 200R tiemcos suire are nice also.

steve

I am partial to Tiemco's and only use other brands when I can't find the TMC I need...like at a show or something. As far as Targus, I guess it depends on whom you ask. I have heard some guys say they are okay and others say they're crap. I have used Daiichis and Mustads and even some VMC's in the past and have had no problems at all. I even tried an Eagle Claw once or twice. I just like Tiemcos and that's probably where I'll stay.

Mike

I use Dai-Riki for most of my trout patterns and I use Eagle Claw nickle plated hooks for my shad flies. I use Dai-Riki because I can get them cheaply- $7.50 per 100 piece pack!