Fly Tying
DFoster

Hearing loss

A quick update-  My hearing aids are still working fantastic.  In may when I bought them they were only approved for sale in 5 states, I received this via email the other day so I thought I would post it.

image.png.e501bba24171778904f9f8c0fbd15bd6.png

@DFoster can you set those just to "fix" certain frequencies? If so how do you which fequencies need "fixing"? My hearing aids are VA supplied Phonak, that seem to only amplify the stuff that I can't hear, like bird calls and soprano voices, or at least amps those up many times more than other stuff. I recall when the audiologist was explaining my hearing loss that there were 3-4 dips in the graph and "normal"  hearing in between them. There are a few things they over-amplify though like  the turn signal clicker and dishes being hit in restaurants. These were supposed to be  tuned to my needs prior to delivery, but when I had a complaint the audiologist did some re-tuning with her desktop and bluetooth.

You've gotten my interest because mine are a few years old ,so are likely nearing end of life.

Have new Phonak hearing aids that are more sophisticated than my old ones. Much better to hear in noisy environments as a restaurant or open area as our Sunday School room. I have an app that I use to control them from my Android phone for several situations. Now if I can just remember where I put them!🤔

On 8/14/2021 at 5:50 PM, tjm said:

@DFoster can you set those just to "fix" certain frequencies? If so how do you which fequencies need "fixing"? My hearing aids are VA supplied Phonak, that seem to only amplify the stuff that I can't hear, like bird calls and soprano voices, or at least amps those up many times more than other stuff. I recall when the audiologist was explaining my hearing loss that there were 3-4 dips in the graph and "normal"  hearing in between them. There are a few things they over-amplify though like  the turn signal clicker and dishes being hit in restaurants. These were supposed to be  tuned to my needs prior to delivery, but when I had a complaint the audiologist did some re-tuning with her desktop and bluetooth.

You've gotten my interest because mine are a few years old ,so are likely nearing end of life.

TJM, the Bose hearing aids operate exactly like a car stereo, they are not like the more expensive hearing aids in that you can't boost or retard specific frequencies.  Below is a screen shot of the simple phone AP they operate from.  You have volume, treble/bass with left to right balance adjustments and a mute button.  The everywhere button toggles between amplifying 360 degrees around you or just directly in front of you which is useful when surrounded by ambient noise like in restaurants.  When you find a setting that works for a given situation like TV, Conversation, Outdoors, movie theaters you can save it as one of 10 pre sets (Modes).  

Bose states that these aids are designed for mild to moderate loss.  My hearing loss is in the low end of the severe range.  I'm not a veteran and because most private health insurance pays zero towards hearing aids so cost was a big factor in my decision.   For me these are adjustable enough that I can hear reasonably well.  They are not perfect but neither were my expensive Beltones and these list at $850 for a pair not thousands of dollars.   I wish I could tell you these would  work for you but I can only speak to my personal situation, everyone is different.  

If you want to try them they do offer a 90 day full refund and they ship right to your door.  One question, my understanding is that VA supplies hearing aids at no cost to Vets so wouldn't it make sense to get replacements through them?

IMG_0020.thumb.PNG.5b43421acf05c59186cc071bf91ec4ad.PNG

Thanks for the response. I asked out curiosity more than need, I'm sure VA will have some kind of replacement when these die, but I doubt that they use top of the line or newest technology either. 

7 hours ago, tjm said:

Thanks for the response. I asked out curiosity more than need, I'm sure VA will have some kind of replacement when these die, but I doubt that they use top of the line or newest technology either. 

May I respectfully disagree with you? I got new Phonak hearing aids from the VA on 8/4/2021. They interface with an app on my Android. I have had occasion to test them in restaurants, Sunday School classroom and I can adjust them from the app so I can now hear in those environments. Background noise is minimal.

On 8/16/2021 at 11:16 AM, tjm said:

I have several friends who are vets that are pleased with their VA provided hearings aids.  The Bose hearing aids are simply a low cost good quality alternative for those of us who have to pay 100% out of pocket.  I simply want those people to know work well and are available.