Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Stu Thompson

First Trout Outing

Headed out to the Parklands area for some trout and man was it fun. My son, Kevin, caught most of the big Tigers, 1-27, 3-26, 1-24, and 1-20 inches. He also had a few smaller fish as well. For myself I had 4 Bows from 22-24, a 26 Tiger and a few more from 14-19 inches. What a weekend. A couple of pictures.

DSC_0023 (3).JPG

DSC_0013 (3).JPG

DSC_0028 (2).JPG

DSCN6358_(2).JPG

DSCN6362 (2).JPG

That's what fishing is about!  Good to hear someone's getting out and catching fish!

Nice fish and great photos. Is that your house in the background in Photo #4?

On 5/25/2021 at 9:15 PM, Stu Thompson said:

The fly we were using were DDH Minnows

How does this (or does it) vary from your DDH Leech pattern?

The DDH Leech is one colour of dubbing for the whole body, so if I am tying a brown DDH then the tail is a rust brown marabou with the same colour of dubbing for a body. With the minnows I use three different colours of dubbing for the body. Case in point the tan DDH Minnow will have a tan marabou tail then the body (for the size of hook I use ) is 2 clumps of tan dubbing, two clumps of red for the throat and four clumps of an olive bronze UV synthetic for the head. There are time when I switch out the bead chain eyes and use 6mm plastic eyes. Take a look below the first fly is a DDH Leech and the second is the DDH Minnow. I do the minnow in white, tan, and pale yellow. The third fly is what I call a DDH Head. Only two colours and can be any combination you like.

new_DDH_Leeches_008.JPG

DSCN4719.JPG

new_DDH_Leeches_005.JPG

Stu, Thanks.  I'll give this a try.  All Rabbit and DDH or just DDH? I have your SBS from one of your other sites.

Thanks again

I blend rabbit with a holographic flash. Use to be sold by Superfly and they called it Diamond Dub Holographic (hence the name DDH). I forget the name Hareline sells it under but they do carry it.