Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Solid state drive...I'm lovin' it.

I do most of my stuff online on a desktop, but when I'm downstairs in the shop, or when I am gone on fishing trips and in a motel room I always use my laptop. My laptop is probably about 9-10 yrs old and just so sllllllooooooooowwwwwww. So I finally broke down about 2 weeks ago and purchased a new laptop. It is not "brand new" but refurbished from the local Microcenter (I LOVE that store). Anyway, I am just blown away from how fast these Solid state drives are now as compared to the old spinning disc drives.

The one I bought is a Dell E6440 which when it came out some years ago was about a $1700 business laptop. I picked up the refurbed one for only $359.00. Has the SSD, 8GB ram, Win 10 pro and i5 3.5ghz processor. It blows me away how fast these SSD's are these days. My old laptop took about 3 mins to boot up, even my desktop takes about 45secs - 1 min to boot up. This new laptop takes about 5 seconds and is ready to go. Runs all my programs probably twice as fast as my desktop does.

Going to be nice to be able to stay connected at the motel in my fishing trip in a couple weeks and not have to spend an hour just trying to upload some fish pictures 😁

Technology is a good thing.  I like the new computer stuff, too.  
But I'm sticking with my flip phone, because I don't want to carry a computer with me all the time.

Looking forward to the pictures ... hopefully lots of big fish pictures ... during your trip.

Just now, Poopdeck said:

Are you speaking French?

Kind'a. Don't be too impressed. This old dude had to go to my "tech support" (Nephew) to get help with what I should look for in one  :D

9 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

This old dude had to go to my "tech support" (Nephew) to get help

LOL.   My son has always been the IT department in our house.   For a while now I've been buying old Lenovo laptops(ThinkPads) , usually @ $150, and having my son upgrade them for me.  He takes out the old hard drive and installs new SSD hard drives,  ups the RAM, etc.  Bought a new one about 4 weeks ago and had to wait for him to come home from college to upgrade the hardware and transfer the data from my old Windows 7 laptop into the new Windows 10 laptop.  I've been putting off the switch thinking the newest Microsoft OS would be a pain to work in, but I'm actually enjoying it; surprised how fast it is with the new hardware and using Windows 10. 

3 hours ago, niveker said:

I've been putting off the switch thinking the newest Microsoft OS would be a pain to work in, but I'm actually enjoying it; surprised how fast it is with the new hardware and using Windows 10. 

Same here I'm really impressed with win 10. I had win 7 on my old Lenovo and I liked that, and wasn't sure how I would like 10 but it seems great so far. 

I hate to say it because I hate Apple but on the other hand I love Apple. I kicked the PC to the curb years ago and only have an iPad. No tech issues, no break downs, no viruses, no updating this or that, no malware, nobody mining my information, no pulling my hair out,  no issues at all ever. I'll never ever go back to a PC. 

7 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Can't say I have ever had any real issue

Same here, I've never had most of those things PD mentions, except sometimes when they update the operating system, the changes can be a bit drastic, or even fail miserably, so I always put if off for as long as possible.  Doesn't seem to be the case for W-10, as least at this point.  As for the data mining, well ... 

Once I encountered the blue screen of death on my old Lenovo, and it was almost ten years ago now, I've never been able to look at any PC the same way again. Still haunts me to this day.

Every time I turn a PC on there seems to be another windows update. I still use a PC at work but thankfully there is an entire department just to keep it running and secure. For home stuff I have zero reasons to have a PC so I won't ever have one again. I'm not buying nobody has problems with their PC. We have all had problems with our PC's and will continue to have them. I believe some are just more versed than I at correcting the never ending problems or keeping their protections updated making the fixes easy enough. easy fixes are still problems that must be corrected though. 

Apple just makes a way more secure and user friendly product for the knucklehead at home doing nothing important like me. 

I don't get the whole apple vs PC thing, never have understood how that gets going and people get so stuck in one camp or the other. I think people should just buy what fits their needs and wallet and be happy with it and not worry about other people. Maybe It's because I'm just not a "computer guy" but ehh no biggie. Also don't know why everything always has to turn into some debate online. All I did was say how much I liked the solid state drive in the new laptop I bought. Does that really warrant talking down about PC's or getting into some debate on them? Jeez I swear sometimes I think people just look for things to try to be negative about.

I have no reason to lie about computer problems. I simply have not had any real issues with my Pc's. Only time I had any issue was with an old laptop a friend gave me about 5 yrs ago, but that thing had issues from the start. And I have had to replace power supplies in desktops before, but that's it. My desktop Pc's I've never had viruses or malware or anything like that. To avoid update waiting times then I have mine set where it will have updates on hold, then when I go to shut the computer off for the night it will ask if I would like to update and power off. I click yes and that's it, no dealing with waiting for updates.

So with that said. I DO like my new Windows laptop, it's very fast, does what I need, and will be exactly what I need for a price that I was very happy to pay for it.

On 5/26/2021 at 10:01 PM, Steeldrifter said:

Kind'a. Don't be too impressed. This old dude had to go to my "tech support" (Nephew) to get help with what I should look for in one  :D

We have a grandchildren IT dept.  They even have the same eye roll as the IT pro at the office!

My 14 yo grandson is my IT person. My wife was a daycare school director. 5 yo kids knew more computer stuff than the teachers.

Sign in an office- To err is human; To really screw it up, you need a computer.

15 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

My wife was a daycare school director. 5 yo kids knew more computer stuff than the teachers.

Crazy isn't it. One of my friends use to be a preschool teacher in a pretty affluent city near here. He said that at least half the kids in his preschool class would come to school with their own ipads. We're talking 3-4 yr olds here :blink: