Fly Tying
Bazzer69

Latest Law look-alike vise

I’m going to sell my CAE look alike and buy one of these when they come available. Yes I’m just a vise freak!

My memory is that the cost of a LAW vise was greater than $450 when shipping to the USA was considered. It was more expensive than a Renzetti Master Vise which is what I bought instead of the LAW.

I think it was probably £450.

See:

https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better-tying-tools/the-law-of-attraction

"They were expensive from the start - like 4-500 UK£ or some 600-750 USD,"

I think SilverCreek’s est. is probably correct. I remember something around a 700.00USD price tag here in the states.

It was not the cost that stopped me from buying the LAW. What stopped me was the fact that if the vise need a repair or a new part, I probably could not get it. I knew that in 20 or 30 years, Renzetti would still be in business and Waldron may not be.

The best ability is availability. I was not willing to risk that a $700 vise would not have spare parts in the future.

On 6/4/2021 at 7:47 PM, SilverCreek said:

It was not the cost that stopped me from buying the LAW. What stopped me was the fact that if the vise need a repair or a new part, I probably could not get it. I knew that in 20 or 30 years, Renzetti would still be in business and Waldron may not be.

The best ability is availability. I was not willing to risk that a $700 vise would not have spare parts in the future.

Really this style of vise is pretty bomb proof and should last a lifetime Of normal use. How do you know that any of the vise manufacturing company’s will be around in say a year?  Lawrence Waldron is still around and I’m sure could provide a spare part if needed. 

I do know that Renzetti will be around as long as I am around.

And I know that there will be plenty of Renzetties that can be use for salvaged parts 50 years from now.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:47 PM, SilverCreek said:

Exactly why I purchased the HMH TRV.  I love the design of the law but the copies that were being produced at the time hadn't been around for very long.  Generally speaking they were a "one man show"- most if not all being produced in a basement machine shop. That in itself isn't a bad thing, after all the original LAWs were made by one guy (I believe working from his home) and like Barry said the design is not prone to failure.  Still things can fail and to my way of thinking with HMH having been in business for 40 years parts should be easy to come by.  Plus I can drive from my house to the shop in under 2 hours and I talk to the owner John Larrabee at the fly fishing show every year.

Actually over many years of guiding and fly tying the only vise that I ever broke was a Renzetti 3000, one of the jaws snapped, true it was replaced free of charge but that took a while. 
in my view the HMH TRV that I purchased was just not up to snuff, I quickly returned it for a refund. I’m very happy with my CAE look alike but being a vise freak I fancy giving the FNF Talon a try. 
The Law style of vise is pretty robust without any small parts that might be fragile, so if you want any of the Law copies you pay you money and takes your choice. The only one I wouldn’t buy is a genuine Law, not at four grand for sure 

5 hours ago, Bazzer69 said:

in my view the HMH TRV that I purchased was just not up to snuff, I quickly returned it for a refund. 

For the record I don't own any of the vises mentioned in this thread. But just in case I find myself  in the vise market for the fourth or fifth time, I'm curious as to why a vise is not up to snuff. Ive never heard that an HMH TRV does not hold a hook so what was it about this vise that led to its quick return? what does a CAE, FNF or LAW do  better. 

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

For the record I don't own any of the vises mentioned in this thread. But just in case I find myself  in the vise market for the fourth or fifth time, I'm curious as to why a vise is not up to snuff. Ive never heard that an HMH TRV does not hold a hook so what was it about this vise that led to its quick return? what does a CAE, FNF or LAW do  better. 

I can only comment on the TRV and the CAE since I owned neither of the others you mentioned. The TRV I was sent had jaws made out of chewing gum and the base was so small I had to put one hand on it to stop it tipping over because it was light, also the screw to tighten the jaws was difficult to tighten because it’s was so small. My CAE it sterling but I just like the look of it and the roller bearings 

Nuf said?

On 6/7/2021 at 11:58 PM, Poopdeck said:

Yes, more than nuf said. Thank you. 

Poopdeck the HMH TRV is the last vise I will ever own and I suspect you will find many people on the forum with the same opinion.  So my advice is to try one out.