Fly Tying
Bazzer69

Latest Law look-alike vise

You’d think the seller would spring for the shipping !🙄

17 minutes ago, Moshup said:

You’d think the seller would spring for the shipping !

LOL - yeah, right?  

Well, to each his own, but if I had enough money to afford a vice in that price range, I'd stop working so much and start fishing more.  

For that price I should just put in my order and just have the VISE tie 'em!

Kim

I read somewhere that ole Lawrence was making saxophone mouth pieces these days.  Does anyone know for sure?  At these prices I got to believe someday he'll get back in the vise business.

5 hours ago, DFoster said:

I read somewhere that ole Lawrence was making saxophone mouth pieces these days.  Does anyone know for sure?  At these prices I got to believe someday he'll get back in the vise business.

No, the reason the price is so high is because the vise is not available. If he makes the vise available again, the price will go back down to a more competitive price. Now that more people are making vises with similar jaws, you would expect that his vise would have to be more competitively priced than it was when his was the only one. IMHO

I once sold a Viet Nam era Randall knife for $8,000.00 (at auction) when the original knife sold for $300.00 only because it was unobtainable.

16 hours ago, WWKimba said:

For that price I should just put in my order and just have the VISE tie 'em!

Kim

Kim,

Buy me that vise and I'll tie them for you!!! 

Of course I still wouldn't be able to tie any better than I do on my Renzetti, but hey, I took a shot! 🙄

Finally getting around to commenting, and the one thing pointed out before me is that video is NOT a review. It is nothing more than an advertisement...as in someone shilling for the company. For goodness sake put some hooks in the vise!! A size 24 for a Trico spinner or a 5/0 salmon hook for an old time classic or a 7/0 for a tarpon fly.

Nevertheless...they won't get $900 + shipping of my money. After all, the vise in just something to hold a hook...right?😆

8 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Finally getting around to commenting, and the one thing pointed out before me is that video is NOT a review. It is nothing more than an advertisement...as in someone shilling for the company. For goodness sake put some hooks in the vise!! A size 24 for a Trico spinner or a 5/0 salmon hook for an old time classic or a 7/0 for a tarpon fly.

Nevertheless...they won't get $900 + shipping of my money. After all, the vise in just something to hold a hook...right?😆

New toys are fun 🤩 

5 hours ago, Bruce Derington said:

New toys are fun 🤩 

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Here are a few comparison shots of the HMH TRV and the Talon as well as some of my thoughts pertaining to the two.

Although both vises are advertised as rotary, I would never choose either of them as vise I would used if I really want to employ the rotary function (I prefer Renzetti for my rotary tying needs). 

The HMH rotary knob allows for a much smoother rotary function as you can control it with your palm.  While the Talon is best rotated with your index finger but doesn't rotate as smoothly as the TRV.. 

If you are looking for the closest thing to the LAW, the Talon is REALLY close in design and function, while the TRV more pays homage to the design. I really like the jaws of the Talon but the fit and finish award goes to the TRV. And when I say the Talon is really close to the LAW, this is based on what I remember from a single encounter I had with a LAW vise many years ago...

Anyway, I thought these images may be helpful for comparison sake. 

Both vises hold all sizes of hooks that I tie with, without compromise. 

Size comparison: The shaft of the Talon comes with an extender but the diameter of the shaft on the Talon is larger than the standard that all other vises I have ever had use. So the things that you might add to the shaft don't work unless the are adjustable. 

IMG_1431.thumb.jpeg.ae9c7854b3f88a416f737c202c9e604f.jpeg

IMG_1430.thumb.jpeg.5fcfdf01b6f4be50a8395278dfb26a44.jpeg

Heads side by side (Note: I removed the black coating that came on my HMH and refinished it with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue Creme)

IMG_1433.thumb.jpeg.f786f8c38763b3f82709300acac68ff7.jpeg

HMH with TMC 101 size 24

IMG_1442.thumb.jpeg.b710ef996fe29b30c345d609b18d9d3c.jpeg

Talon with TMC 101 size 24

IMG_1444.thumb.jpeg.cda1da66b0234918037756419e2390ba.jpeg

Both have grooves for securely holding large hooks.  Pictured here is a 2/0 hook. 

IMG_1438.thumb.jpeg.ab4b86ed483971a54ade68d7528f2fd9.jpegIMG_1437.thumb.jpeg.9cd07f1b273ffb058600b1678a434710.jpegIMG_1445.thumb.jpeg.3da9067b74ec1d249aa25320ff70f574.jpegIMG_1443.thumb.jpeg.4f1cd703ba0fc9bea4cdc77f96bb6f99.jpeg

On 6/25/2021 at 9:34 PM, WWKimba said:

He who dies with the most toys wins!

No,no,no,no. He who lives with the most toys wins!

Best thing I've seen on this subject yet!!!!!  My standard question...what is the largest hook you've tried on the TRV?