Fly Tying
Bazzer69

Latest Law look-alike vise

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

Poopdeck the HMH TRV is the last vise I will ever own and I suspect you will find many people on the forum with the same opinion.  So my advice is to try one out.  

I second that emotion, unless you're completely happy with the one you are tying with.

There are many great vises out there, remember last century many great flies were tied without a vise or synthetic materials for that matter.  I have a eBay el-cheapo that I take on trips with me, one of the $50 Regal Chinese copies and I don’t see that breaking anytime soon.  My beef with HRH is I contacted them about my complaints hoping they would put them right, all they said is return it and get your money back, not what I wanted to hear.  In all probability they already knew of the problems and maybe fixed them, I don’t know since I’ve never seen a TRV since then. 
Oh my, I wish I never started this thread, it was supposed to be about the Talon!

13 minutes ago, Bazzer69 said:

remember last century many great flies were tied without a vise or synthetic materials for that matter.

I know I'm not speaking for everyone ... but no, I don't remember when flies were tied without a vise.  😉

I'd REALLY like to say I don't remember last century😕, but most of us can.  😬

Shut up, TIER.  You're barely old enough to remember last decade.

I'm trying to learn how to spend money but I'm not doing well. No way will I spend 800 bucks on a fly tying vise. I won't spend 500 on a vise either when I see a terrible review. It makes me feel like I stole my pettijean tyemaster vise at 7 bucks 40 years ago. I think I'll just keep using it. I have to start spending money though before I leave to the kids and the taxman. Some day I wouldn't mind having a vise just to look at, and tie a few flies. 

I can't say I remember when people didn't use vises to tie flies but I was probably alive when this was filmed.  At 16:50 Lee demonstrates tying without a vise- 

BACK ON TOPIC;   In a perfect world the local fly shop would have at least one of every premium or hand made vise sitting on the shelf for us to try out.  The Fly Fishing shows have the largest variety that I know of.   Over the years I have been able to handle most of the premium vises available on the market at the various dealer stations.   If your serious about buying, some will allow you a test drive and tie a couple of fly's.   Even if you don't actually get tie you can still get a feel for the quality and engineering level in a way that a youtube video can never provide.  On occasion pro tyers have allowed me to test their own vise functions like rotary action and opening and closing the jaws including a LAW and a J-Vise.   

If I was considering spending $500 + on a vise like a Talon it would probably be worth making the trip to the closest or biggest show. 

If it's not a rotary vise ... with a fuel injected, four-stroke, floor pedal operated engine to spin it up, I'm not paying $500.00 + for it.

Got my $100.00 Griffin that works wonderfully while traveling and my $123.00 (sale price) Renzetti at home.  If my traveling is truly done (job description has changed), then I'll probably try to sell the Renzetti.  I like the Odyssey Spider better.

I have had a Talon for a couple of months.  It is an excellent vise in every respect.  Very similar to my HMH TRV.  The HMH is prettier in my opinion. Both perform beautifully. The Talon is available direct from the manufacturer in Scotland at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Toothy said:

I have had a Talon for a couple of months.  It is an excellent vise in every respect.  Very similar to my HMH TRV.  The HMH is prettier in my opinion. Both perform beautifully. The Talon is available direct from the manufacturer in Scotland at the moment. 

Wow, a Talon and a TRV, that's nice. You don't also have a LAW do you? It would be great to hear your thoughts on the three compared.

3 hours ago, Toothy said:

Any pictures and a review? Why didn’t you keep it? What happened to it? I’m interested if you still have it. 
Barry

4 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Wow, a Talon and a TRV, that's nice. You don't also have a LAW do you? It would be great to hear your thoughts on the three compared.

I do not have a LAW.  But I have played around with one.  I think the Talon is a closer replica of it than is the TRV.

I have a real problem when it comes to vises! Vises are my vice! 

4 hours ago, Bazzer69 said:

Any pictures and a review? Why didn’t you keep it? What happened to it? I’m interested if you still have it. 
Barry

I still have both the TRV and the Talon. I am traveling the next couple of weeks, but I'd be happy to photograph the TRV and Talon side by side when I get home.  

On 6/10/2021 at 9:57 AM, DFoster said:

I can't say I remember when people didn't use vises to tie flies but I was probably alive when this was filmed.  At 16:50 Lee demonstrates tying without a vise- 

BACK ON TOPIC;   In a perfect world the local fly shop would have at least one of every premium or hand made vise sitting on the shelf for us to try out.  The Fly Fishing shows have the largest variety that I know of.   Over the years I have been able to handle most of the premium vises available on the market at the various dealer stations.   If your serious about buying, some will allow you a test drive and tie a couple of fly's.   Even if you don't actually get tie you can still get a feel for the quality and engineering level in a way that a youtube video can never provide.  On occasion pro tyers have allowed me to test their own vise functions like rotary action and opening and closing the jaws including a LAW and a J-Vise.   

If I was considering spending $500 + on a vise like a Talon it would probably be worth making the trip to the closest or biggest show. 

That video is fantastic. I remember Curt Gowdy filming his show all over the world.

2 hours ago, feathers5 said:

That video is fantastic. I remember Curt Gowdy filming his show all over the world.

I love these old school shows.  They remind me of being a kid.

On 6/22/2021 at 1:25 AM, flytire said:

from a few days ago. you can do the currency exchange yourself

screenshot_20210620-171947_ebay-jpg.4044

6,981.72 USD. Amazing. That's collectors for you.