Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TSMcDougald

Montauk State Park and the Litte Piney

I took a trip to Montauks State Park from the 21st to the 24th. On Saturday, the 22nd, I took a side trip to the little Piney. The weather was great for fly fishing. 

Montauk

Montauk_May_2021_7.thumb.jpg.3eeaaef7982d9e1947a8687d9cdf812a.jpg

Little Piney

Little_Piney_2.thumb.jpg.c8b00bf6e1c5366463673a130c5a77a2.jpg

Unfortunately, I did not catch anything on the trip. Usually, if don't catch anything large enough to keep (the trout at Montauk are stocked) I catch some little parr marked trout. Even so, it was still an enjoyable relaxing trip. 

Beats working. I recall flying to Boston several years ago. The flight path went over LI Sound, just north of the Point and lighthouse.

Nice looking area.  My first thought was that doesn't look like the Montauk State Park I know.  Where is the lighthouse,  the surf and the seagulls.  We always called it Montauk.  Turns  out its now Montauk Point State Park.  No trout there.  A lot of the fly fishing is done from boats, but you can also fly fish from shore.

1639240826_MontaukPointStatePark.jpg.accee80a1ece0c178aaf31d64d16523c.jpg

@TSMcDonald.  You had me fooled.   I’m very familiar with NY’s MTK Point and there is some great fresh water fishing out there that is overshadowed by it’s surfcasting historical roots.  Been fishing there since I was a boy and I have had some great fly fishing adventures there both on shore and I boat.  Unless things turn around the epic fishing found there in the past will stay in the past.

Montauks? Montauk? New York? Missouri? Didn't know about the one in MO. There are trout on long island. Brook trout run between salt and fresh water; they are called salters, if my memory serves me.

Yes there are trout on LI but Montauk is not where you’ll find them unless maybe stocked. Mostly LMB in the ponds located there.

According to the Montauk State Park website:

"Early residents came to the area from New York and named their first post office after Montauk in Suffolk County, Long Island."

Odd.  As Montauk LI was named for it’s Indian tribe the Montauketts.

1 hour ago, newbie@this said:

I always go to Bennett Spring.  Live in the KC area.  I will have to try Montauk next trip.  Thank you for posting the photos!

I fish both but also like Bennett better.  Montauk has a little more wilderness feel but unless you have a camper, lodging pretty much sucks.  The park motel leaves a lot to be desired and is way overpriced.