Fly Tying
SBPatt

June Flies From the Vise

Flytire that is one of the most graceful of the caddis ( I assume it is a Caddis). Thanks

9 hours ago, SBPatt said:

Mark,

Yeah; mine was named for it’s appearance. Check out some of the flies Ken Sawada ties, though; he really does use owl and eagle feathers http://www.kensawada.com/FLIES/index.php?v=work&fcId=8&flId=01409&flsId=21

I guess things are different in Japan. 

Regards,
Scott

Always love your stuff Scott. Really, they can use that stuff Huh? Crazy.

ACE6E0EA-1836-4FD1-AD74-08BE772A0446.JPEG.a9ebc03a96d08cd8cda787b81558e318.JPEG

Rattlin' Bendback

Hook: Bass worm hook, #1/0

Thread: Uni-thread 6/0, olive

Body: Standard Estaz, pearl and red

Rattle: 4mm glass

Wing: SF Slinky Fiber, white/rainbow/olive

Eyes: 1/4" 3D molded, silver

Head: Clear Cure Goo, thick, with Hard as Hull overcoat

DHH Carnage Brown Drake

51221278262_d54792e7a9_c.jpg

51221278267_63581277b9_c.jpg

51221984201_220ca2c8d3_c.jpg

Doing my part to stop the wholesale slaughter of Ginks.

hook - WFC Model 28 #10
thread - Veevus 8/0 tan 
core - 20lb mono
tail - moose body 
body/head - 1mm foam tan/tan marker 
wing - Congo Hair white 
hackle - deer hair (loop dubbed)

Regards,
Scott

POP-Fly-1080.jpg

POP Fly

(Partridge Orange Peacock)

Hook - Mustad S80-3906

Thread - Black

Tag - Flat silver tinsel

Body - Orange uni stretch

Thorax - Peacock herl

Hackle - Hungarian partridge

Ray Lewis (letmgo) design

1 hour ago, SBPatt said:

Doing my part to stop the wholesale slaughter of Ginks.

I thought they were milked.  

4 hours ago, niveker said:

I thought they were milked.  

Free range ones may be but not the ones raised on feedlots.

Regards,
Scott

On 6/2/2021 at 1:24 PM, Baron said:

Flytire that is one of the most graceful of the caddis ( I assume it is a Caddis). Thanks

It's an excellent pattern, Baron.  It's the only dry caddis pattern I carry in my trout fly box.   Tied in larger sizes, 8 and 10, it's a good pan fish fly for a creek, pond or lake. I tie mine on a different hook than Hans uses.  I use a TMC 2488.  If you happen to catch a caddis, you'll notice that the wings extend past the body.  Plus it gives me a larger gape when tied in smaller sizes.  Give it a try.

I definitely will try it and in fact I just ordered the CDC in Natural. I use the Elk Hair Caddis by Troth when back in the stumps where we were hitting Pickerel last month. I believe this CDC version will even garner more attention. Thanks for chiming in. I'm bait fishing back there this Saturday as I have allot of bait left over from the cancelled trip this past weekend. 

2 hours ago, Philly said:

It's an excellent pattern, Baron.  It's the only dry caddis pattern I carry in my trout fly box.   Tied in larger sizes, 8 and 10, it's a good pan fish fly for a creek, pond or lake. I tie mine on a different hook than Hans uses.  I use a TMC 2488.  If you happen to catch a caddis, you'll notice that the wings extend past the body.  Plus it gives me a larger gape when tied in smaller sizes.  Give it a try.

CDC and elk is a great pattern. a corn fed caddis is pretty slick also. https://www.flyfishfood.com/blogs/dry-fly-tutorials/corn-fed-caddis

Wow Sandan What a Bluegill Fly, lol. Once again I only fish trout when in Id, Ut and WY once a year so I am stuck with whatever is left over to fish locally for Panfish, Pickerel and Bass and this particular version of your looks especially bassy. 

Okay I may as well go ahead and ask a burning question that I've been holding onto for weeks. How big of a Caddis fly will trout hit? The bigger they are the more Warmwater species will hit them... So If I have big ones leftover from this summers trip to ID so much the better for warmwater species at home. Will 12, 10, 8, 6 work? It has always been y opinion that 12 is pushing it.

42 minutes ago, Sandan said:

CDC and elk is a great pattern. a corn fed caddis is pretty slick also. https://www.flyfishfood.com/blogs/dry-fly-tutorials/corn-fed-caddis

Just finished watching it. Nicely done and helpfully instructive. At the end it was starting to look like he was crowding the eye, something I can do really well, but alas he ended perfectly with a small head about a half an eye short. Perfect. 

Thanks for sharing this Sandan. I usually try hard to avoid modern versions of well established flies as it has been my goal to learn the classics first. This fly, as it it presented, should be able to take care of so many things for me and extend my use of caddis flies in general. 

Are there other life cycles of this species that I should tie. I'll have to stop and study the family more and decide wether or not to go further. 

My next fly for the Wyo trip will be Brown and also Western Green Drakes. I anyone has a simple pattern that they're hung up on and are willing to share I'd love to see it. 

11 minutes ago, Baron said:

Just finished watching it. Nicely done and helpfully instructive. At the end it was starting to look like he was crowding the eye, something I can do really well, but alas he ended perfectly with a small head about a half an eye short. Perfect. 

Thanks for sharing this Sandan. I usually try hard to avoid modern versions of well established flies as it has been my goal to learn the classics first. This fly, as it it presented, should be able to take care of so many things for me and extend my use of caddis flies in general. 

Are there other life cycles of this species that I should tie. I'll have to stop and study the family more and decide wether or not to go further. 

My next fly for the Wyo trip will be Brown and also Western Green Drakes. I anyone has a simple pattern that they're hung up on and are willing to share I'd love to see it. 

Caddis larva and pupa are always good for when the caddis are about.  Caddistrophic pupa is one of my favorites and this Graphic Caddis too. Larva.  Caddis dry w/ a pupa or lava dropper can be killer.  Here's a green drake pattern, easy to tie, Jacklin uses too much glue to suit me, but it's a good fly anyhow.  I tied up a couple of dozen a while back for my ID, MT trip