Fly Tying
DFoster

Feather Identification

Hi everyone, my daughter runs a part time business creating custom crafts.  For a recent wedding she needed some feathers for boutonnieres which she purchase through an on line commercial craft supplier.  She gave the extra's to me which consisted mostly of pheasant and guinea hen.  However there were two small bags that I couldn't ID.  They were labeled only craft feathers.  If anyone can ID these I would really like to know what bird they're from.

Thanks-

I'm pretty sure I've seen these hanging in a fly shop somewhere.

IMG_9274.thumb.JPG.29ad0b27985b798df651f22dfc1abb30.JPG

These look like iridescent blue green turkey flank but from the dime you can see how small they are. 

IMG_9277.thumb.JPG.6edc486d330917183d1989b3564e965c.JPG

Not entirely sure about either, but a quick google Lens search is usually helpful if nobody else can ID them. Google now lets you search a picture from your camera role, and it is typically pretty accurate.

Top is silver pheasant, used for cheeks on a gray ghost.

Try here - The Feather Atlas - Feather Identification and Scans - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Forensics Laboratory (fws.gov).  

And you thank Norm for this fine reference - I got this from his site and use it to find similar feathers if I don't have the one a pattern calls for.

Kim

Thank you all for the replies!  I thought the first was silver pheasant (maybe) but I didn't have a clue on the 2nd one.

The second could be turkey as well.

The silver pheasant is very “cheeky” . Need to be matched though.

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

Hi everyone, my daughter runs a part time business creating custom crafts.  For a recent wedding she needed some feathers for boutonnieres which she purchase through an on line commercial craft supplier.  She gave the extra's to me which consisted mostly of pheasant and guinea hen.  However there were two small bags that I couldn't ID.  They were labeled only craft feathers.  If anyone can ID these I would really like to know what bird they're from.

Thanks-

I'm pretty sure I've seen these hanging in a fly shop somewhere.

These look like iridescent blue green turkey flank but from the dime you can see how small they are. 

And they came with a quarter and two dimes?😁

Pheasant,silver top,ring necks have several varieties as well.They are commercially raised for hunt clubs and are sold as dressed birds for consumption.I have a lot of these feathers from friends who hunt.Have some with the green as well as pink and blue.