Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Au Sable trip / Daily updates

After a front like that goes through I generally expect fishing to be screwed up for a day or two after. But eventually they turn back on. I've seen it go the other way too but that's more rare. They more likely go nuts on the approaching front eating everything you throw at them, soon as the front hits it's like there was never a fish in the place. Just sayin. So you at least probably did good going to the motel in all regards. We will see what Sunday brings for you, hopefully a few more stellar trout in the next few days though.

Spent morning and early afternoon on the river nymphing. Nothing of any real size but were a lot of cookie cutter bows to keep me busy. All the weekenders are headed home so gonna hit the river this evening and see if there's anything rising to dry flies.

WpAcYF5.jpg

EDrT3O0.jpg

JWT77Ue.jpg

I like the rainbow photo. Outstanding! As for the cookie cutter fish, beats zeroing out. I have fished, trout have lockjaw and would welcome a shiner.

2 hours ago, Bruce Derington said:

What was fly of choice 

Bruce, today I was mostly nymphing with a large hares ear about size 8-10. The hax are going and so have iso's so fish are taking larger nymphs. Tonight there wasn't a lot happening. Some small fish rising but no real hatch came out this evening at all.

Switched the Rio sink tip on the spey rod with a floating tip and did some nymphing with the two hander today. Lots of smaller bows jumping on the nymphs. As much as I Iove it here there comes that point in a long trip with no return date where you just feel that it's time, and I think I'm there. Body is getting worn out, bad rotator cuff in shoulder is really painful every night after fishing all day. Hands and feet are cut up and bite up. Have had a wonderful trip but I think it's about time to head home and build some rods for other guys. After probably a few days of rest.

saqfM3K.jpg

A0AVpOx.jpg

L8fOPzN.jpg

54 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

Switched the Rio sink tip on the spey rod with a floating tip and did some nymphing with the two hander today. Lots of smaller bows jumping on the nymphs. As much as I Iove it here there comes that point in a long trip with no return date where you just feel that it's time, and I think I'm there. Body is getting worn out, bad rotator cuff in shoulder is really painful every night after fishing all day. Hands and feet are cut up and bite up. Have had a wonderful trip but I think it's about time to head home and build some rods for other guys. After probably a few days of rest.

All good things must come to and end. If they weren't so few and far between, they wouldn't be special. I am so glad you got out and had a great trip. It'll be nice to get home too. I bet the kitties are missing you.

What a great trip! I know the feeling about when it's time for a fishing break. As weird as that may sound, after just two or three days of hard fishing I have to stop to rest sore shoulders and knees. I enjoyed following your stories so it must have been a great trip for you. I gotta say I am impressed with the quality diversity that river offers. 

You had that big rainbow the other night, pretty well hit the peak right there. So if you go then will go with good memories.

😏  You could spend a couple of days resting up in the motel and then try that fishing thing again ... 

Kidding.  I fully understand the need for a rest after a vacation!  😄

Glad you've had such a  great time that you're "sated" in so short a time.