Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Filling my flybox. Recommendations?

I always look at any patterns using "the usual suspects" for tying - peacock herl/sword, copper/gold/silver wire, PT, etc...  I also like to use the "box fillers" - quick , easy to tie flies.  And I always try to keep the classic colors/combos in mind - peacock and red, red and yellow, chartreuse  and green...  Lastly I like to include a pattern or two that would be new to the fish in your area.

On the last note could I suggest a pattern that I know the fish in your area have NOT seen before.  It's called Wilson's Mormon Girl - red floss tag with yellow floss body (classic colors), grizzly hackle beard (usual suspect material) and the thing that NO FISH in your area has seen before - a mallard breast feather tied curved (bottom) side up on top of the hook (it makes the fly wiggle in the water creating vibrations in the water).  If the fly looks like a sail (and not like anything you've ever tied before!) then you're tying it right.  Tie on a Mustad 3906 or 3399 hook and use grey thread.  This is an old pattern from a Mr. Wilson who lived in North Ogden, Utah in the 1930's and he was a one-armed tyer!  If you would like to see a few more of his patterns (with pictures and recipes) check out flyanglersonline.com and just put "Wilson flies" in the search.

I love his patterns because 1) they are clean, simple ties and 2) they are WAY ahead of their time - name one other pattern from the '30's-'50's that is designed with stimulating the fishes lateral line!  I hope you like.

Tight lines.

Kim

okay I am going to add 2 stonefly nymphs, 2 copper johns, and 2 of old faithful, the san juan worm. I love that pattern. 

@WWKimba Is the Wilson's mormon girl a dry fly?

If it is a dry fly then the nymph side will be done! The next side (dry flies) is going to get some work for sure. I have a couple adams-style fly I only have black, gray, and grizzly hackle, and brown, grey, and olive dubbing. I am going to try to make pairs flies that have different colored dubbing and hackle. Then I will tie my favorites for trout, the yeagers neversink cadis (tie one up, they are deadly". Then maybe some elk hair caddices.  Then I will be all out of ideas. Actually I might tie a couple of red tags. Do you guys have any favorite dries for trout and grayling you would like to share?

No, the breast feather wing would NOT vibrate if not under water - it is a wet fly.  For a dry - try a Rackelhanen, another quick and easy dry that primarily is tied as a caddis pattern.  All you need is poly yarn.  If you are lacking let me know - I've got MORE than a lifetime supply!

BTW, the Wilson series of flies are also listed in "Fish Flies" by Terry Hellekson.

Kim

17 hours ago, WWKimba said:

No, the breast feather wing would NOT vibrate if not under water - it is a wet fly.  For a dry - try a Rackelhanen, another quick and easy dry that primarily is tied as a caddis pattern.  All you need is poly yarn.  If you are lacking let me know - I've got MORE than a lifetime supply!

BTW, the Wilson series of flies are also listed in "Fish Flies" by Terry Hellekson.

Kim

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I will tie that

6 hours ago, TIER said:

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I will tie that

Good luck with the pattern!  And thanks for considering.

Kim

On 6/10/2021 at 7:43 PM, dave said:

One of the top flies ever invented- wooly worms in brown and olive.

I second dave's motion! Purple and black are winners around here. I like fishing the Hiwassee River tailwater with a white WB to imitate the warpaint shiner; also blue back herring when they die off in the winter.