Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DOUG STOUT

Trip coming soon. What's going on?

I'm headed to the Buena Vista area of Colorado in August and was wandering if anyone knew of some flies they've used there before with success.

I have been there many times before and have had success on super small parachute Adams, red humpies, yellow humpies, hopper dropper rigs with Copper johns and pheasant tail below.  Will be at a small lake at an elevation of 9,000 feet. Have also done well with an Olive and black wooly bugger. The lake has a ton of damsel flies and scuds too, but I have never caught a fish on either fly to imitate them. Drives me nuts!!  Will be close to the Arkansas River and will also fish it a day or two. Another fly I have KILLED on is a fly from "The Fly Shop" I saw in their catalogue and copied.  Either  Kevin's or Mike's red eye midge. Don't see it any more, but I have caught so many fish on it.

@Kimo (Herman deGala) who used to frequent here ties for the Colorado lakes. He's got a neat eraser scud pattern and a variety of other neat patterns for damsels, nymphs, tarcher style nymphs, and midge emergers. He also was tying some micro game changers. If you look up his posts on this site (click his name and scroll down to his posts) you'll find the flies and recipes. Prepare to be stunned. Here's a recent video of his eraser scud.

https://www.intheriffle.com/in-the-riffle-blog/degalas-eraser-scud-1

Caddis, PMDs, hoppers on the Arky.   Stonefly nymphs, black, brown and yellow (iron sallies). Lake IU can't help you unless you're talking Crystal lake. If that's it a chironomid retrieved slowly.

@chugbug27 +100 for Kimo

57 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

@Kimo (Herman deGala) who used to frequent here ties for the Colorado lakes. He's got a neat eraser scud pattern and a variety of other neat patterns for damsels, nymphs, tarcher style nymphs, and midge emergers. He also was tying some micro game changers. If you look up his posts on this site (click his name and scroll down to his posts) you'll find the flies and recipes. Prepare to be stunned. Here's a recent video of his eraser scud.

https://www.intheriffle.com/in-the-riffle-blog/degalas-eraser-scud-1

Hey chugbug, That's a nice site.  I would like to tie that scud with a little orange egg sack in the middle.  I have caught scuds there with the egg sack. 

Sandman, I have seen big salmon flies late summer there.  At least that is what I call it. Huge stone fly looking thing.  I watched a trout come out of the water to snatch a low flying one, close to elephant rock north of Buena vista. I was able to catch one myself to take home to imitate a pattern of it. So I have some of those and some other stone fly patterns. Orange and yellow stimulators work well as a stonefly. At least they worked well below the Rio grand reservoir by Creed Colorado.   I have never tried a chironomid there. That sounds like a new weapon.

Thanks!

I'm seeing that Kimo's fly pics are no longer available in his postings on this forum.... That's really too bad. They were awesome.

Here's a vid of his Hula Damsel

Here's his CDC Calibaetis

https://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gink-gasoline-fly-patterns/degalas-cdc-callibaetis/

1 hour ago, DOUG STOUT said:

Hey chugbug, That's a nice site.  I would like to tie that scud with a little orange egg sack in the middle.  I have caught scuds there with the egg sack. 

Sandman, I have seen big salmon flies late summer there.  At least that is what I call it. Huge stone fly looking thing.  I watched a trout come out of the water to snatch a low flying one, close to elephant rock north of Buena vista. I was able to catch one myself to take home to imitate a pattern of it. So I have some of those and some other stone fly patterns. Orange and yellow stimulators work well as a stonefly. At least they worked well below the Rio grand reservoir by Creed Colorado.   I have never tried a chironomid there. That sounds like a new weapon.

Thanks!

Stimis, madamx's too, you're probably seeing yellow sallies. The salmon flies come off in June.  an Elk hair caddis is good and I think a missing link is killer on the Arky.

1 hour ago, DOUG STOUT said:

I would like to tie that scud with a little orange egg sack in the middle. 

Kimo did the same, but I forget if he used a little orange ostrich herl or something else.