Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Stu Thompson

Cats on the fly

Had a great evening with a couple of friends. I landed 5 Cats from 34-37 inches and Derek and Brock, brothers, landed 8 fish between them. Of course I didn't get pictures of myself but I did get a couple of the boys landing some nice fish up to 38 inches.

DSCN6667.JPG

DSCN6657_(2).JPG

DSCN6678_(2).JPG

Derek's cat1.jpg

1 hour ago, Stu Thompson said:

Pattern was a tan DDH Minnow. Great all around fly for just about anything. That Lab must have been on heck of a fight!!!!

Yep, the Lab was catch and release. Did you get to eat any of the cats,? Are they as tasty as the smaller ones we eat? I'm going to look up that fly, I can always use another good minnow. Thanks. M

I like catfish to but don't eat anything out of the rivers here in Tennessee. Too many chemical advisories. There are other places.

21 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

I like catfish to but don't eat anything out of the rivers here in Tennessee. Too many chemical advisories. There are other places.

Sorry about that, maybe they can be cleaned up.

Yep, big fatty river catfish are toxic. Advisory’s against eating them out of the Delaware river. You can eat the small short lived fish that don’t call the bottom home but one should stay away from fat bottom dwellers on any industrialized river 

Yep agree with everything you guys say about big Cats. But I hate to say this but on the Red River (in Manitoba) I have only caught 3 Cats that were 20 inches or smaller. Every thing else has been 30 or above. Just lucky to live in the home of big Cats.

Just waiting for my final proof copy to come. It should be here this week. Once I go through that then it's publication time. Shouldn't be to much longer.